• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Donko142

Hello all,

Being that I spend half my time in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, I feel it’s only right that I create a post for the Adirondack Scenic Railroad. Three years ago I purchased a house in Old Forge. A friend who is a member on the Adirondack Scenic asked me if I wanted to get involved on the railroad, I advised him no due to the fact I was currently in Engine Service on 4 other railroads in NJ and PA. A few months later, I was invited for a cab ride while my friend was qualifying on physical characteristics. One trip up the line caused me to do a complete 180. I have been lucky enough to have spent a reasonable amount of time on many different railroads, hands down this line is the most picturesque and beautiful railroad I’ve had the pleasure of operating over. The line stretches approximately 140 miles from Utica to Lake Placid. Approximately half is currently in service at Class II & III standards. The reason I am writing this, and I will continue to update the site, is I believe the Adirondack Scenic will expand at a good rate this year due to many things.

New volunteers are always welcome and needed. I have had great results on this website with updates and information I have posted in the NJ column (go to: newjerseyrailfan and click on: Bel Del News 2010). We were able to pick up many new volunteers through this site on the Bel Del. The Adirondack does offer things that I have not seen at any other tourist railroad. This is about as serious as a tourist railroad can get. Our weekly trips out of Utica are traveling 100 miles round trip between Utica and Thendara. This is serious railroading, (although I don’t claim to be a real railroader as I am just a part timer) you are in DCS Territory co-existing with a freight railroad, there are miles of 40 mph railroad with multiple obsticles out there. The equipment is better maintained (it has to be at that speed) than any of the other railroads I have experienced. This is truly one of the most remarkable railroads I have ever operated over. Whether picking up canoes at White Water, dropping of mountain bikers at Carter, or battling the ruling grade of Pergatory Hill, it’s always a thrill. Being an outdoorsman I never thought the roughed grouse still existed anywhere in the world like they do along this right of way. On one trip in the fall I saw 5 different black bear between Thendara and Remsen. The track is in outstanding condition thanks to our track foreman who seems to know every tie plate on the railroad. I have not mentioned the crew; these are some of the most pleasant, professional people I have ever come across in the railroad industry. One thing is clear on the Adirondack, everyone here believes in the railroad with their heart and soul. Which brings me back to my reason for writing this thread. The railroad is looking for new volunteers always. Our first trip of the year will be April 3rd, the Easter Bunny Trip. April will also find Wine and Beer trains rolling over it's rails.

There is always room for someone to get involved. Annual rules classes are coming up in late April. I believe ALL the railroad employees and board members are going to be working together with greater enthusiasm than ever. 2010 will see the Adirondack Scenic Railroads one millionth rider. (That’s right a million) From a four mile local in 1992, to a place operating three trains on Saturday and Sunday over 65 miles of railroad, things have come a long way to say the least. I believe the rebuilding of more of the railroad is not far off in the future. I hope to see the day when one can board in Utica and take one of the most spectacular rail journeys in the United States, all the way to Lake Placid. With the talented and motivated volunteers and employees, I know this will happen one day before too long.

Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer on the railroad, please contact me via private message through this site and I'll get you to the currect people. If you can be safe, that’s all the experience necessary.

Thank you for your time.

Don

by Noel Weaver

I am glad that you posted this. This is the railroad that should get funds to get the middle portion of the line in to condition where a through train could be operated between Utica and Lake Placid. I rode this splendid line back in 1980 when they ran some service in the summer that year.

I have said it before but it deserves being said again, this line has a live Amtrak connection at Utica and covers very scenic parts of New York State as well as major resort areas at several station or former station locations. This railroad could be the Grand Canyon Railway of the east and it should be.

It is not my intention to downplay any of the other tourist or scenic railroads but this one is number one. All of the others deserve volunteer support but the Adirondack Scenic should be number ONE. You can bet that if I still lived in the Albany area I would be helping out here.

Noel Weaver
  by mowretired

Well said Don. Thank You.
  by ut-1

The ADK is a great asset to NYS in general and my "neck of the woods" (i.e., the Utica area) in particular. I've been on it a few dozen times and have never been disappointed. Is any major track work expected to take place this season?
  by Donko142

Thanks for the positive posts guys !!

I'm not the one calling the shot's, but there has been alot of work taking place over the last 3 months or so. I know the track forman has been doing tie counts and looking over the rails again. I beleive the next section to be rebuilt will be the section between Thendara (MP 58) and Beaver River (MP 78 ) for sure. Once the track project is alittle more set in stone I plan to have a fundraiser directly for the track project (if the board clears it. I did a Buy-A-Tie project on the Bel Del in NJ in 2007, it had a very good outcome). I am running for the board of directors in the May 2010 election. I know this section of railroad is very high on my personal list of what must get done asap. Once we get to Beaver River (it will happen one day soon I hope) I would switch gears to the North end and work south torwards Lake Clear and Tupper Lake. Lake Placid and all the hard working volunteers up there can not be forgetten about ! Then the final stage would be Beaver River to Tupper Lake. (Remember that was just 1 mans opinion) Most people have no idea how much time and MONEY track work really costs. You take a dollar amount, say $100,000.00. If the rail, tie plates & joint bars are all good and were just talking about ties, some stone and a tamp, what do you do ? With class 2 RR you would get about 1 mile with 100k, but if you want to go class 3, now your down to 3/4 of a mile. About 20 miles of the ADIX is class 3. Thinking long term, if your going to do it, do it right and once. If were going to get to Lake Placid one day it would have to be at least class 3 RR ( 40mph ) or it would take 6 hrs to get there. Plus class 3 will be easier for the track crew to maintain. The section between Big Moose (MP69) and Beaver River isn't in that bad of shape, one main reasons for that is the track forman always made sure there was good drainage in that section as he felt it would be the next to get done also. 1500 ties a mile would make that solid class 3 ( in my opinion ). The answer to your question is, I do beleive we will all see some track work take place this year. Hell I beleive we will all see a lot of great things take place on the Adironck this year. (ONE MILLION RIDERS !!!!)

Be Safe
  by Gunsnclapton

Hey, I will be up there the weekend of April 17th. Anything going on with the railroad? If you guys need a volunteer for the weekend, I'd be more than happy-I'm 19 and full of energy.
  by Donko142

Gunsnclapton, thats a good name. lol

That would be great, were looking for motivated people like yourself. We do have a train running on the 16th, not sure what's happening on the 17th. Reach out to me via privite message and I'll get you in the loop.

Thanks Don
  by Donko142

I am glad to be getting interested people contacting me about getting involved! Thanks guys that's what I was looking for. A few are asking the same questions as far as the rules classes. If you would like to get involved in train service you can do so as a car host and you do not need to take the NORAC class. The path to many laughs, smiles and a hell of a lot of good times, goes like this on the Adirondack. Car Host to Trainman, to Student Conductor, to Conductor, to Student Engineer, to Engineer. Someone with a good head on their shoulders that is safe (above everything) can move along at a good clip, if there able to give a reasonable amount of time. If someone has railroad experience, they can be moved along and a faster pace.
The pride and history of the NYC runs deep up here and there is something for everyone to do. The key is just do something ! lol. We have 2 cars in service in the busy season still in the Via blue, they don't look good with the beautiful gray cars of the ADIX. I spoke with CMO John Norton last week about them, there not going to get into the paint shop this year. I asked John if Larry P and myself could put a temporary gray paint job on them till there turn in the paint shop comes. He thought that was a great idea and a visible one at that. Something for everyone, paint being one of them. Would you like to be in train service ? Would you like to help paint some cars or touch up around the stations ? maybe you just love the outdoors, Wally is always looking for help cutting on the 100 plus miles of ROW. ( I hope to get cleared on the Grade-All myself early this year) Help is needed it the shop in Rome on multiple projects if your an engine guy. On nice days I have found myself just washing the train while talking with other volunteers, it all needs to get done. The more the volunteers can do the more time that frees up for the small force of paid employee's. For people that would have to travel more then a few miles and would like to come up for one weekend a month or something, we have your stay covered with the camp car. This Conrail camp car is located in Thendara (Old Forge) and is a DAM NICE place to stay thanks to a few people that took the bull by the horns and did what had to be done. Jason "The Kid" got into this project early last year with help for Larry G, Melanie and a few other I'm forgetting (sorry). This place is great ( and very clean !!! ) heat, A/C, hot shower, new mattresses and so on. Jason started in late 2008 and qualified as a conductor in mid 2009, he is an example of what the youth of today can do if they want to. ( I believe he's only 23). Van Aukens Inn is across the street from the Thendara station and about 500 feet from the camp car so it has become a favorite among the railroaders for a good steak and a cold drink after a day on the railroad. It's crazy, one can look and the pictures of NYC 4-6-2's at Thendara in Van Aukens, then look out the window across the street and see all the changes, the water tower is gone and the buildings are a different color, that's about it lol.

Motive power update

I spoke to John today the engines were still drained for the winter, but this week John's getting them ready and could use a hand. ( I believe John is also looking for a full time employee in the shop if you know anyone. Contact John Norton @ http://www.adirondackrr.com )

GP-9 7076 will be ready to go after about 4 hrs of work with the air gauges, I believe this will be the power in Lake Placid again in 2010.

RS-3 8223 is waiting for her Turbo to come back from a rebuild. The turbo was pulled out and sent down south in January. Once a turbo comes back, it's drop it in and she's ready to go, no other work needed as the ALCO 244 is in great shape other then the turbo.

F-10 1502 will be ready to go after a few hrs with 7076 (could be this week)

F-7 1500 stored serviceable, this unit needs some minor work and will be back up power for the moment

F-7 1508 appears to be staying on the Adirondack for at least another year. It needs about 1 or 2 days worth of work and she's good to go. This reliable unit runs out of Utica always facing south due to the fact it has dynamic brakes and there used on the long trip down the mountain from Thendara.

The ALCO C-424 4243 has an unknown future at the moment. I truly hope this unit stays on the railroad. To any ALCO lover this thing is the real deal. Being in engine service at Steamtown on the Delaware & Lackawanna, plus living less then 1 mile from the Morristown & Erie it's safe to say I see more ALCO's in service then 95% of the people out there. The 4243 is my favorite, this spotlessly clean inside and out 1964 product of the American Locomotive Company makes it easy to see why there's still so many running out there. In English I'm confident with a long chain, once this unit is in Notch 8 and the boost gauge is reading around 23psi, I could pull the Titanic up off the ocean floor with this thing ! I have run many 3000 plus HP units, but the 43 just pulls hard! I hope it's here to stay on the ADIX.

Anyway once again anyone interested in becoming a volunteer please contact me, your help is needed and welcome on this growing line.

Be Safe
Don
Last edited by Donko142 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Benjamin Maggi

A very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing! I remember riding it when I was younger, and driving with my grandfather to an "unknown destination." I saw a caboose on the side of the road and was excited just at the sight of the train... little did I know I was going to be riding it that day.

Just our luck, though- it was "robbed" mid=trip. Thankfully, they never bothered to collect the few pennies I had in my pocket that day.

A wonderful memory of a wonderful railroad.
  by Donko142

I just recieved a call from the RR CMO today advising me of some good news. Things took a big step forward with the turbo for 8223 today. We may have this unit in service for opening day of the regular trips out of Thendara on Memorial Day.
Also spoke to RR operations today, for those who are intrested I now have the volunteer safety form required to get on board with the group ready to e-mail.
  by Noel Weaver

This is a wonderful opportunity for younger folks on here would would like a career in railroad operations. While operations
on this railroad may not be exactly like a major freight railroad a lot of the things are the same and it is very important to
learn the ropes. This is the place to accomplish that.
I always enjoy reading about this wonderful project. Best of luck to all involved in this.
Noel Weaver
  by LarryinWells

Hello everyone, Larry from Wells N.Y. here.
It’s a small world as I myself started my railroad career in the late 1970’s working for the Black River & Western in New Jersey at the age of 16. I know that Donko is an engineer on that very railroad currently and runs the NYSW 142 steamer down there. After moving to the Adirondacks I found myself very interested in the Adirondack Scenic, so I got involved. I must say I have been reading these posts for years but never made one myself but now I feel the time has come that I have to make a statement. The events taking place on the Scenic over the last few months have been motivating to me to say the least. I have always felt like Donko and believed the Railroad has so much more potential. Like he pointed out the Railroad has come a long way from the 4 mile trips of 1992, but there is a long way to go to complete the line with through trains from Utica to Lake Placid .
Now more then ever I feel the Railroad is about to start moving forward at a faster pace then ever. The key is the right people with the right attitude, Donko you have proved that you seem to have both of these requirements. Over the past few months you have told me many of your ideas, (sometimes they sound too good to be true) you talk of increasing ridership on certain events by 25 or 30% like it’s no big deal, then you tell me your plan and it’s a great idea, plus it looks simple and cost effective. The motivation that you and others have brought to the railroad motivates me and others to a higher level then we’re already on. As you pointed out some of the young volunteers have really stepped up.
I hope you get elected to the Board of Directors in June, you have my support for sure. I think you bring a lot to the table and will deliver even more if on the B.O.D. From your posts it sounds like you found some new blood already in the last 5 days, that’s great !!! Like you said if they can get something done and be safe they are welcome on the Adirondack in my book. I think this election could really take the railroad forward, knowledgeable people like Tom, Jerry, and you among others could bring a heavy shot of adrenaline, knowledge and good old fashion willpower to the railroad. You have spoke of getting everyone on the same track at the same time, that event alone with the communication would take us ahead in a big way, plus your idea of work parties in the winter months at Rome sounds like a great idea.
Well to sum it up you can count me in as a motivated volunteer as soon as the gates open. It’s my hope that many of the other outstanding volunteers already on the railroad feel the same way !!!
The locomotive information that you posted was very informative.
My thanks goes out to all the great volunteers and employees already on the railroad!
Like Donko said new volunteers are welcome and needed!! See you at the NORAC class in April.

Take care, Larry
  by RailBus63

Which locomotives can we exepct to see on the Utica trains?
  by adrtrail.pbwiki

Donko142 wrote:Hello all,

Being that I spend half my time in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, I feel it’s only right that I create a post for the Adirondack Scenic Railroad. Three years ago I purchased a house in Old Forge. A friend who is a member on the Adirondack Scenic asked me if I wanted to get involved on the railroad, I advised him no due to the fact I was currently in Engine Service on 4 other railroads in NJ and PA. A few months later, I was invited for a cab ride while my friend was qualifying on physical characteristics. One trip up the line caused me to do a complete 180. I have been lucky enough to have spent a reasonable amount of time on many different railroads, hands down this line is the most picturesque and beautiful railroad I’ve had the pleasure of operating over. The line stretches approximately 140 miles from Utica to Lake Placid. Approximately half is currently in service at Class II & III standards. The reason I am writing this, and I will continue to update the site, is I believe the Adirondack Scenic will expand at a good rate this year due to many things.

New volunteers are always welcome and needed. I have had great results on this website with updates and information I have posted in the NJ column (go to: newjerseyrailfan and click on: Bel Del News 2010). We were able to pick up many new volunteers through this site on the Bel Del. The Adirondack does offer things that I have not seen at any other tourist railroad. This is about as serious as a tourist railroad can get. Our weekly trips out of Utica are traveling 100 miles round trip between Utica and Thendara. This is serious railroading, (although I don’t claim to be a real railroader as I am just a part timer) you are in DCS Territory co-existing with a freight railroad, there are miles of 40 mph railroad with multiple obsticles out there. The equipment is better maintained (it has to be at that speed) than any of the other railroads I have experienced. This is truly one of the most remarkable railroads I have ever operated over. Whether picking up canoes at White Water, dropping of mountain bikers at Carter, or battling the ruling grade of Pergatory Hill, it’s always a thrill. Being an outdoorsman I never thought the roughed grouse still existed anywhere in the world like they do along this right of way. On one trip in the fall I saw 5 different black bear between Thendara and Remsen. The track is in outstanding condition thanks to our track foreman who seems to know every tie plate on the railroad. I have not mentioned the crew; these are some of the most pleasant, professional people I have ever come across in the railroad industry. One thing is clear on the Adirondack, everyone here believes in the railroad with their heart and soul. Which brings me back to my reason for writing this thread. The railroad is looking for new volunteers always. Our first trip of the year will be April 3rd, the Easter Bunny Trip. April will also find Wine and Beer trains rolling over it's rails.

There is always room for someone to get involved. Annual rules classes are coming up in late April. I believe ALL the railroad employees and board members are going to be working together with greater enthusiasm than ever. 2010 will see the Adirondack Scenic Railroads one millionth rider. (That’s right a million) From a four mile local in 1992, to a place operating three trains on Saturday and Sunday over 65 miles of railroad, things have come a long way to say the least. I believe the rebuilding of more of the railroad is not far off in the future. I hope to see the day when one can board in Utica and take one of the most spectacular rail journeys in the United States, all the way to Lake Placid. With the talented and motivated volunteers and employees, I know this will happen one day before too long.

Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer on the railroad, please contact me via private message through this site and I'll get you to the currect people. If you can be safe, that’s all the experience necessary.

Thank you for your time.

Don
Don Don Don, Every year we have this conversation. Let's see at one million passengers since 1992, that's well,
$40 dollars per passenger the unwitting tax payers have put out there. How many of the million have ridden North of Snow Jct.? As a Snowmobiler you might find it interesting that, at a low average, over 180,000 Snowmobilers use the RR each year( that's 2.7 million in the same time) at no Taxpayer cost. If this line will be so popular, I wonder why the AMTRAK on the East side does not have more economic effect on the region? I'll put my penneys on the track, but they are getting a little green!
  by traingeek8223

Why is it that every time we start a topic about the Adirondack Scenic, someone has to go and put there own negative spin on things. The taxpayers do not support this railroad! The state owns the track. The railroad supports it's self. And I'm sick of hearing about the smowmobilers! I own a snowmobile myself, and the only money I spend while riding is on gas! I spend much more when I come to town to ride the train. The tracks aren't going anywhere! Lets stick to talking about current news of the RAILROAD, and stop beating a dead horse!