• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Donko142

Here's a pic from Thursday proving there's something for everyone here. I was painting all the lines in the station area, anyone could do this. It's just 1 of the many things around here that need to get done. My point is just because you don't know anything about trains, that doesn't mean there not alot of things you can't help with around here. It's nice to be able to do many different jobs and not be stuck as the engineer or conductor everytime your on the property. I don't know what got done with the work party the week before with Jason, I beleive they had a good turn out.
Remember if you want to get involved with a great group of people for some good times and more then a few laughs we have something for everyone here in the Adirondacks !!

1508 & 1502 arrived as I was painting to cover the Thendara trains for a few weeks.

by jurtz

Donko142 wrote: I don't know what got done with the work party the week before with Jason, I beleive they had a good turn out.
I was up there helping out Jason's crew for a few hours on Saturday the 22nd. In the short time I was there, the group 1) finished cutting up a tree that was dropped the day before (all of us), 2) repositioned and rebuilt the steps to the wooden camp car (me), 3) dug new trenches to relocate electrical and plumbing service to the crew camp car (all of us), 4) installed a new P.A. system control panel in the Old Forge (Larry), 5) cleaned out much old junk from the bowels of the Old Forge (me & Larry), and 5) re-painted the wheelchair ramp and handrail going into the station (Linda). Jason and others got the rest of the work on the crew camp car done after I left, and I'm sure they accomplished other work as well.

Kudos to Jason for setting this up. Gerry B. made what I thought was a great comment - that volunteer days like those form the glue that hold an organization together. I couldn't agree more.
  by tree68

Several of the picnic tables under the canopy got painted/stained on Sunday (boy, did they need it!), the cover over the trash cans got some stain, and the fence between the platform and the parking lot got some touch up as well.

"Old Forge" (5320) got a rather complete detailing last weekend courtesy of Gerry and Melanie. Gerry washed all of the windows, inside and out, on the car, too.

Some work continued this weekend as well, as I finished some work in the storage closet on 5320 and cleaned up the baggage car. It still needs some bagged sand moved to the engine house, and could stand a good hosing out, but it's a world better than it was.

As we continue to take aim at little projects, things just get better.
  by Jmark

Last week was a very busy weekend for Thendara:

Work started around 0800 friday morning with myself and Melanie digging trenches and prepping the camp car to be moved. We were joined later in the day by the Nothbound Lake Placid train, which helped us out (many thanks to John N, Gary, and Bill!) and helped us get the tree down behind the camp car and it spotted to a good position. We worked until we literally ran out of daylight, then called it a night.

Saturday we had a huge group of people come in, Jerry B, Larry G, Chuck R, Newcomer Bill, Myself, Melanie, John U. a

nd Lance H. we managed to get the car hooked up to sewer/water/power as well as haul away the parts of the downed tree. Jerry, Larry and Melanie then went on to the local train and detailed the inside of the 5320.

Sunday Larry and Melanie did some paint work around the station as well as continued cleaning the cars.

This Weekend was our first local operating weekend of the season. Chuck R. and myself made up the train Friday evening, Which was completed by Lance H and Jerry B. Saturday
I went on a cleaning spree in the camp car the night before and managed to get it clean for regular use.

Saturday we had Chuck R. as engineer, Jerry B as student Conductor, Lance H. as Trainman and myself as conductor. We hauled over 130 people in 2 trips, which is a great start to the season.

Sunday was similar results with a large crew, Larry G conductor, Jerry B student conductor, Mike F trainman, Tom R. trainman, Chuck R. Engineer, John U, Student Engineer.
Jerry, Larry and Myself also did some more cleaning and a few quick last-minute restroom repairs.

Larry G also cleaned out the baggage car, while I worked on TC-14 (Fairmount MT-19) in the engine house.

All-in-all the last 2 weeks have been great for the railroad. We have made huge strides with our most valuable resource, PEOPLE. we've gained 3 newcomers and are always looking for help. It was very satisfying to see "The spirit of 92" come back alive.
  by Gunsnclapton

This was my first weekend volunteering on a railroad and I have to say, this is the best bunch of people I have ever met. Everybody was very friendly and helpful. Big thanks to Jason and Don for getting me involved with the railroad. I also look forward to working with them this weekend.
  by Donko142

Steve

Glad you had a good time, that's what it's all about.

Thank you for getting involved !!!!

I hope will have the big ALCO soon
  by Donko142

Will do Otto

I'm glad to report the RR had a good weekend, we hauled a good amount of people out of Thendara. Trains also ran out of Utica to the Buffulo Head today. Don't know about Lake Placid but I hope they did well also.
  by tree68

I always try to treat Ryan right when he's working. And he's a good worker.

I'll be back on the railroad in a couple of weeks. Enjoying a new grandchild in MD right now.
  by Otto Vondrak

tree68 wrote:I always try to treat Ryan right when he's working. And he's a good worker.
I take full credit for teaching him everything he knows. Unless he screws up. Then, it wasn't me.
  by freightguy

Is Tom Carver still involved in the operation? I showed him my engineer license and he let me have a crack at the alco in Saranac a few yrs back!
  by Otto Vondrak

freightguy wrote:Is Tom Carver still involved in the operation? I showed him my engineer license and he let me have a crack at the alco in Saranac a few yrs back!
Tom Carver actually just took a position with the Naugatuck Railroad in Connecticut.

-otto-
  by Donko142

ADIX 1500 is covering the trips out of Thendara ( Old Forge ) for the time being, expect to see a change in power here shortly. The nice weather has finally set in here in the North Country. The canoe/Kyak trains are filling up and the Mountain bike trains are also starting to show the interest people have in the bike trails.

by Donko142

The "Mountain Bike Trains" are underway. That's one of the many great things about the Adirondack Scenic on top of all the beautiful sights one will see from the train """ IT'S NOT JUST A TRAIN RIDE """" You can take your Mountain bike or rent one ( it's cheap ) then ride the scenic railroad out the Carter station and get off. From there you can make the return trip via pedal power on one of the multiple different routes using the snowmobile trails. Try it out it's worth the trip !

by Donko142

Last week I took the Kayak/Canoe trip with the girlfriend. This is what one will see on a nice day, the train was Northbound about 1 car from the pick up at Whitewater. " It's more then just a trainride " on the Adirondack Scenic ! Bikes, Canoe's and more. New volunteers always welcome and needed.

Be safe, thanks for reading