• Additional Comets to Septa?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by rbreslow

Pardon me if this should be asked in the Septa and (PATCO) forum. When NJT retires more of their Comets will any of them go to Septa?
  by DutchRailnut

I don't believe there is any plans for that.
  by CNJGeep

rbreslow wrote:Pardon me if this should be asked in the Septa and (PATCO) forum. When NJT retires more of their Comets will any of them go to Septa?
Most likely not. SEPTA has no additional engines to pull any more coaches with-each push pull set runs with seven cars currently.
  by R36 Combine Coach

SEPTA should have sold the AEM7s to MARC long ago.
  by Ken S.

R36 Combine Coach wrote:SEPTA should have sold the AEM7s to MARC long ago.
And replaced them with what?
  by Matt Johnson

Ken S. wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:SEPTA should have sold the AEM7s to MARC long ago.
And replaced them with what?
HHP-8's?
  by oknazevad

Those hangar queens aren't just unreliable, they're overpowered by far for SEPTA's needs. And MARC shouldn't suffer with secondhand locomotives; they may not be as busy as other commuter lines, but that doesn't mean they should be forced to be a second-rate operation.
  by Matthew Mitchell

rbreslow wrote:Pardon me if this should be asked in the Septa and (PATCO) forum. When NJT retires more of their Comets will any of them go to Septa?
I doubt it. With the Rotem cars now being delivered, the SEPTA equipment shortage should be alleviated. And the Comets have performed well, but SEPTA doesn't have any spare locomotives to pull them. They might get retired NJT or Amtrak equipment in a pinch, but it would take really dramatic circumstances like a lot of Vs having to be pulled out of service or a sudden 10% increase in ridership to get to that point.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Back in 1987, why did SEPTA order the AEM7s and coaches in the first place? Was there expected growth?
  by Matthew Mitchell

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Back in 1987, why did SEPTA order the AEM7s and coaches in the first place? Was there expected growth?
My recollection was that it was to permit the Silverliners to be sent out for overhaul. Push-pulls were the least costly way to add capacity, and SEPTA ended up getting a very favorable deal from Bombardier. That seems to be Bombardier's MO: to offer cheap financing as an incentive to buy its products, not unlike the auto industry.
  by amtrakowitz

CNJGeep wrote:
Most likely not. SEPTA has no additional engines to pull any more coaches with-each push pull set runs with seven cars currently.
Certainly wouldn't bother with ALP-44s that are only 16 years old that NJT also retired. (Right?)
  by amtrakhogger

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Back in 1987, why did SEPTA order the AEM7s and coaches in the first place? Was there expected growth?
The word from management when I worked there is that the push/pull sets were purchased in anticipation of service to Harrisburg. But in the end (obviously) it did not happen.
  by CNJGeep

It is my understanding that SEPTA has displayed no interest in these units whatsoever. Remember, the 44Os were built in 1990-these are the only units that still see use on Amtrak MOW trains and ACES. If what I've been told is correct, then NJT can not sell or lease the ALP44Ms, which are the 1996-built units you discuss, as NJT does not actually own them.
  by Clearfield

PennDOT paid for them to increase capacity on the Trenton line during reconstruction of I95.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Clearfield wrote:
PennDOT paid for them to increase capacity on the Trenton line during reconstruction of I95.
Thank you, Bob. That is correct.