• AC/Diesel Dual-Mode Locomotives in the news

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by benltrain

amusing erudition wrote:
benltrain wrote:The through-routing is efficient, and very unelegant. It's awful, because when I want to get to 30th Street I have to spend a long dwell at Market East and an even longer one at Suburban Station. But, it saves a LOT of money, so I am not complaining.
And this is inelegant compared with... having to get off the train in second-storey Reading Terminal, go down to the street, enter the subway at 11th and then ride a mile and a half west on the Market subway, after paying another fare (if you didn't have a pass to begin with), or walk? The long stops are part of its administration that I do not endorse, but running the trains through the city is both economically efficient, as you agree, and a fairly elegant solution to the poor design they inherited so many years ago with two stub terminals.

It is also possible we are using the word differently; I'm definitely using it from more the mathematical definition.

-asg
All I want them to do is not sit there in Market East for a long time, and have a more fluid handoff between crews at Suburban, meaning don't turn the systems off and have the crew ready.

by amusing erudition

benltrain wrote:All I want them to do is not sit there in Market East for a long time, and have a more fluid handoff between crews at Suburban, meaning don't turn the systems off and have the crew ready.
Won't get a disagreement here.

(Anecdote: I worked in Media for a while while living in Abington. Many days I drove the turnpike-blue route quagmire. Some days the car wasn't available for maintenance reasons or someone else was using it and I had to do a long R3 run from Rydal to Media. Now if you think those station layovers seem long when you're just going to the next station, imagine how bad it seems when you have so much longer of your journey still to go, after already having been stuck on the thing for half an hour.

Of course some of those days I did the 101 to the El to the train to get back home when I felt like taking some extra time and a camera.)

-asg

by benltrain

amusing erudition wrote:
benltrain wrote:All I want them to do is not sit there in Market East for a long time, and have a more fluid handoff between crews at Suburban, meaning don't turn the systems off and have the crew ready.
Won't get a disagreement here.

(Anecdote: I worked in Media for a while while living in Abington. Many days I drove the turnpike-blue route quagmire. Some days the car wasn't available for maintenance reasons or someone else was using it and I had to do a long R3 run from Rydal to Media. Now if you think those station layovers seem long when you're just going to the next station, imagine how bad it seems when you have so much longer of your journey still to go, after already having been stuck on the thing for half an hour.

Of course some of those days I did the 101 to the El to the train to get back home when I felt like taking some extra time and a camera.)

-asg
I know the through routing nightmares, as I have ridden through many times before. But, it feels just as bad after a long R7 ride from Trenton having to go through a long ride in the tunnel before getting on a train home.

Why can't they make a safe transfer in North Philly? R7/R7 Trains just go in a circle...

by amusing erudition

benltrain wrote:Why can't they make a safe transfer in North Philly? R7/R7 Trains just go in a circle...
At the risk of pulling the thread too far off topic, I think it has something to do with the two stations being over 1/3 mile apart, at massively different elevations, and on opposite sides of Broad St. Also, I don't see them pulling off a clean enough transfer from a southbound R7-Trenton to a southbound R5/R6 at North Broad to make it worth it instead of just waiting on your same train through the city. The time savings to get to Market East that way would be eaten up by late trains and walking time. And then there's the problems with holding trains at those stations to make the transfers.

Because the transfer will never be as efficient as just waiting on the same train through the city is also why I don't see diesel service only to 30th St. under as sufficient.

-asg

by benltrain

amusing erudition wrote:
benltrain wrote:Why can't they make a safe transfer in North Philly? R7/R7 Trains just go in a circle...
At the risk of pulling the thread too far off topic, I think it has something to do with the two stations being over 1/3 mile apart, at massively different elevations, and on opposite sides of Broad St. Also, I don't see them pulling off a clean enough transfer from a southbound R7-Trenton to a southbound R5/R6 at North Broad to make it worth it instead of just waiting on your same train through the city. The time savings to get to Market East that way would be eaten up by late trains and walking time. And then there's the problems with holding trains at those stations to make the transfers.

Because the transfer will never be as efficient as just waiting on the same train through the city is also why I don't see diesel service only to 30th St. under as sufficient.

-asg
Point Taken.

I think these cars would be very good for limited diesel service, but as it has been said, I think their specialization is a problem. I think these cars would have to undergo a massive amount of testing, including revenue services, to make sure they could really work well.

by Matthew Mitchell

benltrain wrote:The through-routing is efficient, and very unelegant. It's awful, because when I want to get to 30th Street I have to spend a long dwell at Market East and an even longer one at Suburban Station. But, it saves a LOT of money, so I am not complaining.
Well the through-routing is what allows you to go to 30th Street without having to transfer to the El. Those long dwells could be tightened up if SEPTA were willing to take padding out of the Center City schedules (an analysis they did several years ago said it amounted to 3 to 4 minutes each way, IIRC).

by amusing erudition

benltrain wrote:I think these cars would be very good for limited diesel service, but as it has been said, I think their specialization is a problem. I think these cars would have to undergo a massive amount of testing, including revenue services, to make sure they could really work well.
I think the point is that they're not specialized. They could run electric just as well as diesel. Probably not as well as a pure electric, but flexible equipment isn't a vice ipso facto.

As for testing them, is the facility in Colorado equipped for testing electrics? And as for SEPTA testing diesels in the tunnels while off so that they'll lift the ban, why can't they just load the tunnels with air quality and safety personnel some Friday night after revenue service is over and run a diesel under tow back and forth until they're satisfied there's no problem.

And if something did happen (and it wouldn't) they'd have all weekend to fix it before Monday.

As for revenue service, someone else would have to run them first and New Jersey Transit is the only likely candidate. Metro North is the only other candidate at all and only if they could add a third rail shoe onto the things and that would never happen. Plus since there's nothing wrong with running diesels under the wires on the surface, it wouldn't matter for them.

-asg

by jb9152

Irish Chieftain wrote:Watch this fade rapidly when Warrington departs.

SEPTA doesn't need dual-modes to restore diesel service (all of the alternate routes to 30th Street's lower level have been discussed to death)...
Can't "fade rapidly" when Warrington departs. ARC depends on it, and it's the single most important capital improvement in the NJT plan going forward. The governor just affirmed strong support for it, so it's not going away.

The only other option for NJT would be to electrify all territory that is currently operated by diesels, and that is *not* going to happen.

by Matthew Mitchell

amusing erudition wrote:As for revenue service, someone else would have to run them first and New Jersey Transit is the only likely candidate.
As per the article, there's also AMT in Montréal.

by Nasadowsk

<i>Can't "fade rapidly" when Warrington departs.</i>

Who are you kidding? There's *no* drive at NJT for DMMU beyond him, and so far, NJT's only advanced it for one rail line that looks stillborn at this point, and there as an 'alternative' to the promised LRT.

<i> ARC depends on it, and it's the single most important capital improvement in the NJT plan going forward. The governor just affirmed strong support for it, so it's not going away.</i>

No, ARC doesn't depend on it. It depends on a still non existant diesel/catenary locomotive, which most sane people agree isn't likely to be possible, and if it is, won't be much use anyway.

<i>The only other option for NJT would be to electrify all territory that is currently operated by diesels, and that is *not* going to happen.</i>

Why? NJT already has the plans drawn up, sitting on a shelf. It WAS the plan until Warrington showed up. There's not much that needs to be done to patch the major holes in the system, save for the RVL. We're talking a dozen or miles to Bay Head, and a dozen or so more between Great noth and Denville. That patches the two big holes, then you hit the RVL, then you hit the lines that terminate in upstate NY (which have no connewction NY penn now anyway).

by Matthew Mitchell

amusing erudition wrote:As for testing them, is the facility in Colorado equipped for testing electrics?
Yes, though it doesn't have grades like the grades coming out of the tunnel.
http://www.aar.com

by amusing erudition

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
amusing erudition wrote:As for revenue service, someone else would have to run them first and New Jersey Transit is the only likely candidate.
As per the article, there's also AMT in Montréal.
Right. Got twisted up between the formal FRA testing which would have to be here in the States and the informal testing to see if the things work in practice which could be anywhere. Also contributing were being tired and D-M not actually having that diesel-only branch service yet (it's off my radar).

Hell, Caltrain would be eligible too when they electrify and start opening branches or extensions. But, at present, the market is small.

-asg

by jb9152

Nasadowsk wrote:Who are you kidding? There's *no* drive at NJT for DMMU beyond him, and so far, NJT's only advanced it for one rail line that looks stillborn at this point, and there as an 'alternative' to the promised LRT.
Sorry - maybe I should have been more clear. There is a BIG push at NJT for Diesel/AC catenary dual mode equipment; whether that's DMMU or a dual mode loco remains to be seen.
Nasadowsk wrote:No, ARC doesn't depend on it. It depends on a still non existant diesel/catenary locomotive, which most sane people agree isn't likely to be possible, and if it is, won't be much use anyway.
Yeah, ARC does depend on dual mode power, whether it be DMMU or dual mode loco. The "non-existent" diesel/AC catenary dual mode loco is currently under serious study; there has already been one proof of concept - the Genesis III from GE (had problems, but was sufficient to show that the concept is sound). In addition, we're looking at a 20 to 25 year planning horizon for ARC. It's quite reasonable to assume that such a beast will be possible within that time. I'm not sure how many of the world's "most sane people" you surveyed, or what procedure / standards you used to certify them as "sane", but I'd hesitate to make blanket statements that cite "most people" as your source.
Nasadowsk wrote:Why? NJT already has the plans drawn up, sitting on a shelf. It WAS the plan until Warrington showed up. There's not much that needs to be done to patch the major holes in the system, save for the RVL. We're talking a dozen or miles to Bay Head, and a dozen or so more between Great noth and Denville. That patches the two big holes, then you hit the RVL, then you hit the lines that terminate in upstate NY (which have no connewction NY penn now anyway).
Do you wonder why such plans are "sitting on a shelf"? Nuff said. Believe me, it's not going to happen before ARC. Maybe sometime after, but not before.

by Nasadowsk

<i>Sorry - maybe I should have been more clear. There is a BIG push at NJT for Diesel/AC catenary dual mode equipment; whether that's DMMU or a dual mode loco remains to be seen.</i>

No, there isn't. I regularly talk to a LOT of people at NJT - they all say the same thing: it's Warrington's bright idea. It'll die when Warrington leaves.

The DMMU is nothing more than a consolation prize for Bergen now that Warrington deep six'd the HBLRT extension that runs up there (and yes, the loop at Tonelle allows a flyover). The community wants their LRT, namely becuase NJT PROMISED THEM LRT. They're not going to take a theoretical unit without a fight.

<i>Yeah, ARC does depend on dual mode power, whether it be DMMU or dual mode loco. The "non-existent" diesel/AC catenary dual mode loco is currently under serious study;</i>

No, ARC doesn't. It's a new tunnel into NYC. Right now, it's questionable when that tunnel will be built. ARC assumed full system electrification.

<i>there has already been one proof of concept - the Genesis III from GE (had problems, but was sufficient to show that the concept is sound).</i>

It was never built, never ran. It was a paper locomotive. On paper, the E60 worked, the TEL worked, the Turbotrains worked, the Metroliners worked.

<i>In addition, we're looking at a 20 to 25 year planning horizon for ARC. It's quite reasonable to assume that such a beast will be possible within that time.</i>

If that's the 'planning horizon', then electrification is the only logical route. the cost savings, ease of dispatching, better overall equipment matching, will beyond pay for the minor costs of catenary. And that's before you figure in today's oil prices, which make diesels even more expensive long term.

<i>I'm not sure how many of the world's "most sane people" you surveyed, or what procedure / standards you used to certify them as "sane", but I'd hesitate to make blanket statements that cite "most people" as your source.</i>

My sources are people who live around specing and designing this stuff. They all say it's difficult, at best. Even the Gen III's proponents said it's not likely to be possible under existing rules. GE withdrew the unit, and they're not going to build ANY new passenger power without a sizeable order. NJT just bought new diesels. A 5 unit order won't even get GE to return their calls.

<i>Do you wonder why such plans are "sitting on a shelf"?</i>

Nope. I know why. And it's not money. It's well known throughout the industry that Warrington is vehemently opposed to electrification. He's been quoted as saying it an 'old fashioned idea'. The simple fact is, a full system electrification of NJT was 'on the table' until he arrived, at which point it was quietly shelved.

We're not talking theoretical 'gee, let's put wires here' plans. We're talking specifics, down to what feeder would be used, substation locations, etc etc etc. i.e., the stuff you see right before you start sending out RFPs.

<i>Believe me, it's not going to happen before ARC. Maybe sometime after, but not before.</i>

Why not? The coast line needs it, WORMs desperatly need it, the RVL needs it. If anything, it should be done with the new tunnel, because the new tunnel's going to have severe capacity troubles with any DM locomotive that results - to get the weight to where a 4 axle locomotive is possible, the main transformer will be severely constrained, meaning it'll overheat easily. The ALP-46's main transformer is already marginal, ditto for the '44.

Take a PL-42 and add about 20 tons. That's the weight penalty we're talking, and that pushed the axleload out of 4 axle range. No commuter operator will run 6 axle locomotives, especially not up here, after the E60 fiasco.

The really bad thing is if NJT puts their eggs in the basket, and the locomotive doesn't materialize, you'll have the same problem the LIRR has with theirs - an expensive, poor performing maintenance beast that's sucking money like a sponge.

Right now, a simple look at what's involved says such a unit isn't even close to feasible. There are very few DM units outside the US, most are electrics with tiny pony motors to get into sidings. It's out of the realm of normal technology and NJT has enough trouble with regular equipment.

Current FRA and EPA regulations mean such a unit will be very heavy, still be very constrained in electric mode, it's extreme weight will make it slow in diesel mode, it'll lose HP due to the need for a smaller prime mover. It won't improve service, it'll be very expensive, and it's a pot shot at best. Do you really think GE/Alstom/Bombardier/Siemens/etc will pay for the R&D for a one off unit with no sales potential? Nope - NJT will. And it won't be cheap.

When Warrington leaves NJT, the idea will die. Trust me, he's the only one there pushing for it.

The DMMU might happen if NJT pushes hard enough, but Begen's pushing back. A catenary dual mode is unworkable under today's FRA rules, and will likely be even more so when the new EPA and FRA rules come around next year or so.

by jb9152

Nasadowsk wrote:No, there isn't. I regularly talk to a LOT of people at NJT - they all say the same thing: it's Warrington's bright idea. It'll die when Warrington leaves.
You're simply wrong about that, and it's probably just because you're speaking with "...a LOT of people..." at NJT who don't know the full story because they're not involved in it on a day to day basis. In my current capacity, I speak to those that are. And the dual mode idea is not going anywhere.
Nasadowsk wrote:No, ARC doesn't. It's a new tunnel into NYC. Right now, it's questionable when that tunnel will be built. ARC assumed full system electrification.
I've never heard or read that, and it certainly has not been the assumption through the EIS phase. Better check your sources again.
Nasadowsk wrote:It was never built, never ran. It was a paper locomotive. On paper, the E60 worked, the TEL worked, the Turbotrains worked, the Metroliners worked.
Please note that nowhere in my post did I say that the Genesis III was built and/or ran. It was a *proof of concept*, intended only to show that it was reasonable to assume that such a beast would be technologically feasible, and that designers, manufacturers, and engineers are studying it right now.

I'm not sure where you're going with the E60, Metroliners (I assume you mean the MUs), and so forth. They absolutely did run; perhaps not to the expectations, but they were used in daily service for a long time. More importantly, the lessons learned through the design of those technologies has led to vast improvements in motive power design. So, rather than proving some inscrutable point you're trying to make about the impossibility of diesel / AC catenary dual mode motive power, these examples would seem to rather show that advances in loco technology are not only POSSIBLE, but reasonable and probable.
Nasadowsk wrote:If that's the 'planning horizon', then electrification is the only logical route. the cost savings, ease of dispatching, better overall equipment matching, will beyond pay for the minor costs of catenary. And that's before you figure in today's oil prices, which make diesels even more expensive long term.
Logical? From a cost perspective? "Minor costs of catenary"?

Mainline catenary construction costs, right now, average $100 to $150 per track foot, excluding the actual catenary structures and supporting infrastructure. The structures run upwards of $400,000.000 per mile. Any "unusual" features (such as moveable bridges, overhead crossings, and so forth) that increase complexity jack the price up exponentially. Substations, which normally require some real estate acquisition, or (God forbid) takings, are notoriously expensive, not to mention the EISs that would have to be done (and approved by the feds) at each location to assess environmental impacts. That would add years and expense to the project timeline.

OCS construction is no "minor cost", especially when added to the cost of ARC itself. It would make little or no sense to break the bank electrifying the entire remains of the system (and any proposed system extensions) if you can still only get 23 trains per hour through the North River Tunnels.
Nasadowsk wrote:My sources are people who live around specing and designing this stuff. They all say it's difficult, at best. Even the Gen III's proponents said it's not likely to be possible under existing rules. GE withdrew the unit, and they're not going to build ANY new passenger power without a sizeable order. NJT just bought new diesels. A 5 unit order won't even get GE to return their calls.
That's funny, because I do this for a living, and my sources (who actually design the things) tell me that it's not only possible, but reasonable and likely.
Nasadowsk wrote:Nope. I know why. And it's not money. It's well known throughout the industry that Warrington is vehemently opposed to electrification. He's been quoted as saying it an 'old fashioned idea'. The simple fact is, a full system electrification of NJT was 'on the table' until he arrived, at which point it was quietly shelved.

We're not talking theoretical 'gee, let's put wires here' plans. We're talking specifics, down to what feeder would be used, substation locations, etc etc etc. i.e., the stuff you see right before you start sending out RFPs.
Didn't the Montclair Connection happen on his watch? I could be wrong, but I think it was under Warrington's administration that it opened. I seem to recall some electrification of a formerly diesel line there. There are other examples of electrifications in the "planning" stages going on right now, that I'm unfortunately not at liberty to discuss. But I've never gotten the sense that there was a bias at NJT. I believe the idea behind the new starts using diesels (River LINE is a good example) was to get them up and running in a shorter amount of time, for a lower capital cost, in order to "plant the flag", so to speak. Once a service is up and running, it's difficult (though not impossible, I'll concede) to eliminate it. SEPTA is a notable and sad exception (just to get this moderately back on topic here in the SEPTA forum). Those types of installations don't preclude the later extension of electrification.

My overall point still stands, however - you're not going to see systemwide electrification within the planning horizon of ARC, for a number of reasons (cost only being one), while ARC does indeed require a way to get trains from the "diesel" lines through the new tunnels and into NYC. Hence, dual mode motive power.
Nasadowsk wrote:Why not? The coast line needs it, WORMs desperatly need it, the RVL needs it. If anything, it should be done with the new tunnel, because the new tunnel's going to have severe capacity troubles with any DM locomotive that results - to get the weight to where a 4 axle locomotive is possible, the main transformer will be severely constrained, meaning it'll overheat easily. The ALP-46's main transformer is already marginal, ditto for the '44.
Why not? Well, I can't speak for NJT, but the cost of systemwide electrification, plus the cost of ARC, plus the cost of network improvements that will have to happen in order to deliver the ARC volumes, are hugely prohibitive.

I'll say it again - there are very smart people in the industry, right now, as I type this, working on the problems of the dual mode. This is just my opinion, although it's supported by most of the people with whom I come into contact who have some connection with the effort, but it is simply unreasonable to me, given the huge advances in locomotive technology that we've seen over the past 20 to 30 years, to expect that the issues of dual mode technology are *unsolvable*.
Nasadowsk wrote:Take a PL-42 and add about 20 tons. That's the weight penalty we're talking, and that pushed the axleload out of 4 axle range. No commuter operator will run 6 axle locomotives, especially not up here, after the E60 fiasco.
All good points, if we were talking about a locomotive that exists *today*. The DMMU, the dual mode loco, they're all under development, and very serious development. ARC is 20 to 25 years away; I happen to believe, based on my conversations with the experts with whom I work, that we'll see dual mode motive power well within that time frame.
Nasadowsk wrote:When Warrington leaves NJT, the idea will die. Trust me, he's the only one there pushing for it.

The DMMU might happen if NJT pushes hard enough, but Begen's pushing back. A catenary dual mode is unworkable under today's FRA rules, and will likely be even more so when the new EPA and FRA rules come around next year or so.
Wrong on the first point. As I said, my employment puts me in contact with people that would know if Warrington is "...the only one there pushing for it." He's not.

On the second point - the DMMU might *not* happen in Bergen, but dual mode motive power will, FRA and EPA rules notwithstanding. I can only tell you what I've been hearing and the sense that I get from the people that matter - designers and engineers. They believe that it's eminently 'do-able'. Perhaps you'll be right in the end; we won't know for some time. But I'm betting on my horse. :wink:
Last edited by jb9152 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.