• A GG-1 to roll again??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4272

Tri-State Tom wrote:Hmm....look what I found.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45885

I thought this subject rang a bell.
Apples and oranges.

There are no obvious efforts to stuff switcher guts into 4935 going on at Strasburg, unless they can pull that sort of thing off in less than 45 days (the time frame Mr. Levin eluded to).

This seems like an effort to create a very glorified cab car, or drag 4935 somewhere for some sort of special appearance, or something along those lines.

She'll not be running under her own power anytime soon........ or ever!
  by ApproachMedium

That whole thing is a load of crap, we already went thru that once already about them putting the SW1500 mover in a GG1. Not happening, it was an april fools joke.
  by EDM5970

The clearance issue has come up before. Railroads seem to have a memory of hours and even only minutes at times.

Case in point: My company bought a unit from Amtrak a few years ago. This unit had been in work train service on the NEC, and had the horns moved around to provide better clearance under the wires. Yet NS, who moved it for me, had to measure it to make sure they could move it a few miles on the NEC.

I was trying to set up the move on my cell phone while driving home from stencilling my reporting marks and delivering the AEI tags. My comment that "it was an Amtrak engine until an hour ago" fell on deaf ears. The paint covering up "AMTRAK" and on my reporting marks wasn't even dry yet!

But thats the way it is-
  by 3rdrail

EDM5970 wrote:The clearance issue has come up before. Railroads seem to have a memory of hours and even only minutes at times.

Case in point: My company bought a unit from Amtrak a few years ago. This unit had been in work train service on the NEC, and had the horns moved around to provide better clearance under the wires. Yet NS, who moved it for me, had to measure it to make sure they could move it a few miles on the NEC.

I was trying to set up the move on my cell phone while driving home from stencilling my reporting marks and delivering the AEI tags. My comment that "it was an Amtrak engine until an hour ago" fell on deaf ears. The paint covering up "AMTRAK" and on my reporting marks wasn't even dry yet!

But thats the way it is-
And justifiably so. It's heartwarming to hear that that stuff is being taken seriously and that assumptions aren't being made regards to equipment that could be destructive or dangerous. How long does it take to take a measurement ? Cudos to NS.
  by Jtgshu

I guess Conrail/CSX/NS got spanked pretty bad by Amtrak when they tried to run that double stack under the BandO bridge in Linden in late 2001/early 2002 and took down 5 tracks worth of catenary.

they can measure all they want, but unless the clearance info they have for the NEC is accurate, (which in this case, it apparently wasn't, as was from a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, so Ive been told) it aint gonna make a difference!

A GG1 is a different story I mean come on, it was DESIGNED for the NEC! And if it can fit in the North River Tunnels (it can) it can fit anywhere!!

Oh well, I guess better safe than sorry though..........
  by cnj1524

This e-mail was sent to me from RRMP

(Thank you for your inquiry. There is nothing specific to the GG1 planned. We do hold Pennsy Days in early June)

Talk about getting the runaround

Well would be nice to see a photoshoot(under wires)maybe
  by Kaback9

The question I have is if the G's power is not on will they raise the Pantographs? Because it would be great seeing a G on the NEC but only if the pantos are up, otherwise its not going to look so stunning. It will look like something that runs on someones HO Scale layout that does not have a CAT.
  by Otto Vondrak

No pans will be raised. Stop guessing. The announcement will come soon. Be patient. No April Fool's joke, I assure you. I have independent confirmation from TWO sources now that this will be a real event. Something that only happens once every hundred years.

-otto-
  by NJT4272

henry6 wrote:You guys are going to ruin Joe Biden's surprise birthday party! Or is it inaugurtaion party?
Interesting you should bring up Joe Biden's birthday. Last year his big birthday bash was held at Banning Park, just outside of Newport, Delaware.... and if you look at this map, isn't that the Northeast Corridor that runs right behind the park? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
  by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello NJT 4272 and Otto,

Well, I can't imagine what all the fuss is about. So the GG1 may be going on a little trip somewhere. So what, its not like 4935 hasn't been photographed with PRR business car 120 somewhere on the system before. In fact, I recall a photo appeared on the cover of either Trains magazine, (or it might of been Railfan magazine :( ), once of the two pieces of equipment together in Washington Union Station just after both were restored to their original PRR liveries (back in the 70's). George Pins had recently restored the Pennsylvania 120 and a group called the Friends of the GG1 had restored the 4935 to PRR colors. It was neat seeing the two of them parked at the bumper together.

Well, that's just my two cents worth.

Jeff, I noticed that the URHS is not having a work session on Oct 4 or 5. That should be good for you. Maybe on that weekend you can go out along the NEC and look for a GG1. I would join you that day in your pursuit of catching the elusive GG1, but that weekend, I'm planning on attending this little event that Amtrak is hosting that weekend. Should be kinda neat.:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 8294205979

BTW Otto, trying to drop clues like that, SHAME ON YOU!!!!! :-D :wink:

Well, that's all for now folks!

See ya all later......
  by NJT4272

The Rising wrote: Jeff, I noticed that the URHS is not having a work session on Oct 4 or 5. That should be good for you. Maybe on that weekend you can go out along the NEC and look for a GG1. I would join you that day in your pursuit of catching the elusive GG1, but that weekend, I'm planning on attending this little event that Amtrak is hosting that weekend. Should be kinda neat.:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 8294205979

BTW Otto, trying to drop clues like that, SHAME ON YOU!!!!! :-D :wink:

Well, that's all for now folks!

See ya all later......
Whoa!!! Someone grab the bag and catch that cat!!!!

And there we have it folks. I figured it would be something like that. I just didn't know why.

Rising;
I can assure you that the lack of a URHS work session on this weekend is purely coincidental and I'll be nowhere near the NEC. I'm going to be up on the Catskill Mountain RR those days, so it looks like I'm going to miss it. Regardless, I don't think I would have participated anyway. Its just too far of a ride. I've got my own GG-1's to look at and work on a lot closer to home.
  by photorailfan

Thought of putting this in here being that your all talking about GG1's. Enjoy.
GG1 interior.jpg.jpg
  by northjerseybuff

Is there an operable GG1 around? So it will run this weekend on the NEC??? I don't get it
  by henry6

northjerseybuff wrote:Is there an operable GG1 around? So it will run this weekend on the NEC??? I don't get it
There is no operable GG1 and there probably never will be. As for the game being played here, I don't know either. Somethingis being done with a GG1 for some reason some place maybe but you've got to guess and if you're wrong, you're wrong and if you're right, nobody will tell you. And who knows whether you're right or wrong? Somebody will tell you both ways. Do I understand the game right up to now?
  by photorailfan

This whole thing is interesting. I don't get it either. Whatever happens, i would like to know where it will be posted other then on this site?