• A GG-1 to roll again??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by E-44

amtrakhogger wrote:I won't be a party pooper, but a good co-worker friend of mine who used to be the Sunnyside Yard Enginehouse foreman stated that the G's in the end were just shot. One issue he cites is the trucks on the GG1's were cracking at the end due to fatigue and any plan to rebuild a G would have to involve new trucks.

On a more positive note, why can't someone rebuild a G? Heck, they just built a brand new steam locomotive in Britain from scratch! Let's do it!
That's the key issue. The GG-1's had two tightly integrated truck and frame assemblies. You could not drop a conventional truck in there (like GE did with salvaged U-boat trucks under some early UP Dash-8's). The use of the unique quill drive makes restoration even more complex. You can get this from the photos in the link.

I'd think that the electrical gear (new tap-changing transformers, wiring, controls and instruments) are almost secondary issues in a rebuild.

To do it right, you'd need new castings. Not impossible to do, but very costly I'd imagine. If some good frames (repairable and certifiably roadworthy) could be found and a "composite" locomotive made from the best available parts, well...

Anything's possible with enough dough and enough willpower. If anyone starts passing the hat for a serious restoration effort, post it here.
  by ApproachMedium

From what that article states all the transformers had to be removed by law. In that case it will be impossable to restore a GG1 with ALL original running parts. New transformers would have to be obtained or designed to replace originals. I dont know why someone would go thru the whole process of restoring a GG1 just to make it the heaviest cabcar ever or pull it behind another locomotive. If it were up to me I would squeeze the guts of one of these old ALP44s in there, HEP and all. Again another issue arrises is the traction motors used in the G, they are quite unique and the drive system is as well. Anyone who could restore one of these however to any state of operational ability would be grately appricated by the railfan community.
  by pennsy

At this point it is a good idea to refer you to my original posting on the "GG-2."
  by cnj1524

Odds of this ever happening,none! You are talking into the 1 to 2 million $ range to (restore to run?)or to be pushed.
Dont get me wrong,I would love to see this,hell my friend jeff painted 4877 in the early 80's,but it would never
be a G again,preserving is more important,for the URHS G's they need to be coated w/primer & sealed until they
can be indoors to be the best looking GG1's,the same goes for the e8's, DL&W mu's RDC's,GP7's,CNJ coaches,all of
the above,I am glad to see whats going on in booton,They should be comended for what they are doing and it was
10(more or less)years ago they said the G & MU's would be scrapped on site because there was no way to move them,
well someone was wrong because alot of history is still here,just in another part of jersey,to see a G roll again under
its own power historic event(better than steam).
  by scotty269

I would love to see a modern day engine assembly with modern day trucks, but with a GG-1 shell. That would be good enough for me, and I'm sure many others.
  by John_Henry

[quote="cnj1524"]Odds of this ever happening,none! You are talking into the 1 to 2 million $ range to (restore to run?)or to be pushed.
[/quote]

Ummm, don't lay down any money on those odds. Actually, go ahead, I will take your bet. Trust Bennett. That's all I can say.
  by NJT4272

John_Henry wrote:
cnj1524 wrote:Odds of this ever happening,none! You are talking into the 1 to 2 million $ range to (restore to run?)or to be pushed.
Ummm, don't lay down any money on those odds. Actually, go ahead, I will take your bet. Trust Bennett. That's all I can say.

Oh come on now!!!! Thats just not fair!

I start this crazy thread with the intention of getting to the bottom of some good GG-1 news, it veers way off course with general GG-1 discussions, and then, just when I think nothing will come of it, WE GET THIS TEASER!!!

What does Bennett know? Damn it, its killing me! John_Henry: If you won't broadcast it, at least PM me with some sort of hint. I swear I'll take it to my grave!
  by cnj1524

It is about the 4876 move.
  by Bennett Levin

No it's not..........

We are talking about 4935..........
  by CNJGeep

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that the unit going to the Henry Ford Museum?
Or was Rumourpace living up to its name? :-D :-D :-D
  by NJT4272

DUH!!!!

GG-1 4935 is the finest example of a preserved GG-1 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

Makes sense! It was just recently that they went to great pains to repaint her entire interior.

Thats an awful lot of work to do for a 'static' display that no one from the public is allowed in.

Thank you, Mr. Levin!
  by cnj1524

OK,will you then please tell us what is going to happen with the 4935?
There should be no big secrets to railfans,PLEEEEEEEASE.lol
  by blockline4180

cnj1524 wrote:OK,will you then please tell us what is going to happen with the 4935?

Hahahaha, and for a day you had me thinking that you knew more then Bennett on the matter! Not so! :P
  by ApproachMedium

cnj1524 wrote:OK,will you then please tell us what is going to happen with the 4935?
On the contrary. I think this should be a big secret. In fact the fact that it was even brought up on this thread should have never happend. If one day something about said GG1 came abouts I think it would be alot more surprising, entertaining and fun. Its at the point where it is now its created suspense and and a mystery for railfans which is great. We sit on here and we'll wall talk about what we would like to see done, and what we might think will happen. Then when the day comes we will all be suprised!

Id rather wait till christmas to open my presents than go snooping thru the closets.