Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by break the seals

Thanks for the info.
  by TREnecNYP

Silverliner II wrote:
Grump wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote: I dunno bout that, but one time back in 2007 a light pair came by the airport and they slowed way down nearing the platforms & it smelled like there was a brake pad factory nearby as they passed.
I've never smelled a brake pad factory. Come to think of it where did you smell a brake pad factory?
On an ALP44, apparently. They're self-propelled brake pad factories....
Just a lot of brake dust on a weird weather day, a lot of the smell made its way un-diffused along the platform, some folks were commenting on it, i was just laughing at their reactions to myself. :wink:

- A
  by TheTroll

I don't think I've ever seen brake dust from anything flying around while the brakes are being applied. It might have been sand. Or sometimes it's just dirt from along the ROW getting sucked up in the tailwind. Watch, if you can, when a train is going through a working limits and they have dug the ground around the tracks. Instant Dust Storm.
  by TREnecNYP

TheTroll wrote:I don't think I've ever seen brake dust from anything flying around while the brakes are being applied. It might have been sand. Or sometimes it's just dirt from along the ROW getting sucked up in the tailwind. Watch, if you can, when a train is going through a working limits and they have dug the ground around the tracks. Instant Dust Storm.
Oh, it wasn't visible, just an odor, unmistakably brake dust/vapor. I am not sure which are worse, the MLV's arrows, or the locos themselves when traveling light at speed. MLV sets with fresh brakes i think are more common than 2x light electrics.

- A
  by Jtgshu

TheTroll wrote:I don't think I've ever seen brake dust from anything flying around while the brakes are being applied. It might have been sand. Or sometimes it's just dirt from along the ROW getting sucked up in the tailwind. Watch, if you can, when a train is going through a working limits and they have dug the ground around the tracks. Instant Dust Storm.
I dunno, I see brake dust when Im coming into Princeton Jct or Hamilton at 100mph :)

A good stop is when you can't see the back of the train! hahahaha
  by Taborite

TREnecNYP wrote:I am not sure which are worse, the MLV's arrows, or the locos themselves when traveling light at speed.
Wait...Transit has multilevel arrows...?
  by R3 Passenger

Taborite wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:I am not sure which are worse, the MLV's arrows, or the locos themselves when traveling light at speed.
No, they already cut the commas from the budget. Next, they won't have enough decimals to include them in the fare information. Expect a steep decrease in ridership.
  by TREnecNYP

R3 Passenger wrote:
Taborite wrote:
No, they already cut the commas from the budget. Next, they won't have enough decimals to include them in the fare information. Expect a steep decrease in ridership.
Well played sir.

- A