Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by GE-RULES

matawanaberdeen wrote:Hey how would you know? Oh wait your a Locomotive Engineer! I forgot sorry. :wink: JC
:P
  by Silverliner II

Speaking of 44's....

I noticed perennial hangar queens 4400 and 4401 coupled together outside the MMC late last night when coming by with my train. Looking pretty ratty on the paint job too...I guess the shop folks are letting them get some spring-like sunshine since they aren't going anywhere anytime soon?

Also....my eyes may have been playing tricks in the dark, but I swear I saw ALP46A 4633 poking out from the east end of the MMC buildings. It may have been 4630...couldn't be sure though...
  by TREnecNYP

Silverliner II wrote:Speaking of 44's....

I noticed perennial hangar queens 4400 and 4401 coupled together outside the MMC late last night when coming by with my train. Looking pretty ratty on the paint job too...I guess the shop folks are letting them get some spring-like sunshine since they aren't going anywhere anytime soon?

Also....my eyes may have been playing tricks in the dark, but I swear I saw ALP46A 4633 poking out from the east end of the MMC buildings. It may have been 4630...couldn't be sure though...
4630 IS out there, i saw it the other day, not 4633 though.

- A
  by sixty-six

Silverliner II wrote:Speaking of 44's....

The paint isnt the only thing that's ratty on those. And yes, 4630 is outside, in 11k yard I think. Probably had to get it out of the loco shops to make room for the P40s.
  by TREnecNYP

jimzim66 wrote:The paint isnt the only thing that's ratty on those. And yes, 4630 is outside, in 11k yard I think. Probably had to get it out of the loco shops to make room for the P40s.
I actually saw it out shortly after it arrived, with new wheels different from the ones seen in the dockside delivery photos. I remember that day because of that & my train was being pushed into hoboken by a FH-2 that i'd been looking to photo for months. But yea, it's probably out now to make room like you said. Was a cool day, lots of mid-day equipment sitting being looked at or simply waiting to go back out later on. :)

- A
  by Silverliner II

It was the wheels I noticed on 4630 first. Even in the dark, they were shining brightly....
  by cruiser939

Image Ewwww, ALP-44's are totally weird.
  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:Image Ewwww, ALP-44's are totally weird.
Well, sometimes they do smell like "doody" :wink:
  by TREnecNYP

Jtgshu wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:Image Ewwww, ALP-44's are totally weird.
Well, sometimes they do smell like "doody" :wink:
I dunno bout that, but one time back in 2007 a light pair came by the airport and they slowed way down nearing the platforms & it smelled like there was a brake pad factory nearby as they passed.

- A
  by Grump

TREnecNYP wrote: I dunno bout that, but one time back in 2007 a light pair came by the airport and they slowed way down nearing the platforms & it smelled like there was a brake pad factory nearby as they passed.
I've never smelled a brake pad factory. Come to think of it where did you smell a brake pad factory?
  by Silverliner II

Grump wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote: I dunno bout that, but one time back in 2007 a light pair came by the airport and they slowed way down nearing the platforms & it smelled like there was a brake pad factory nearby as they passed.
I've never smelled a brake pad factory. Come to think of it where did you smell a brake pad factory?
On an ALP44, apparently. They're self-propelled brake pad factories....
  by break the seals

Just outta curiosity, Does anyone know the wheel base of the 44s?
  by GE-RULES

break the seals wrote:Just outta curiosity, Does anyone know the wheel base of the 44s?
Truck Wheel Base is 9 Feet - 11/16th Inch.
  by break the seals

GE-RULES wrote:
break the seals wrote:Just outta curiosity, Does anyone know the wheel base of the 44s?
Roger thanks, And they ride on what 45 inch wheels?
  by GE-RULES

break the seals wrote:
GE-RULES wrote:
Roger thanks, And they ride on what 45 inch wheels?
51.2 Inch wheels.