Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Should th LIRR hold fantrips

yes
88%
No
12%
  by Mr Met

See
CommuterSpot is planning an LIRR Ultimate Ride which will pay a visit to every LIRR station except Belmont Park, which is closed for the season. This will be an ultimate test of endurance, as the trip is over 30 hours long. This trip will take place on Monday, December 27th into Tuesday, December 28th 2004.
If you are interested in joining, want to learn more, or want to publicize the event contact CommuterSpot!
E-mail CommuterSpot

Be sure to check back here for news updates regarding the trip. Below is the itinerary we will be following. It is recommended participants pick up a Zone 1 to 10 weekly pass. For travel beyond zone 10, we will be doing combination tickets. I have found this to be the most practical way to pay for this.

8:01AM train out of Jamaica to Greenport. Transfer at Ronkonkoma at 9:02. Arrive 10:27AM.
Zone 3 to Zone 14 $16.50

43 minute layover in Greenport

11:10AM S92 bus from Greenport to East Hampton. Arrive 1:15PM.
Fare: $1.50

40 minute layover at East Hampton

1:55PM train out of East Hampton to Montauk. Arrive 2:20PM.
Zone 14 to Zone 14 $2.25

31 minute layover at Montauk

2:51PM train out of Montauk to Jamaica. Arrive 5:50PM.
Zone 14 to Zone 3 $16.50

18 minute layover in Jamaica

6:08PM train out of Jamaica to Far Rockaway. Arrive 6:46PM.
Zone 3 to Zone 4 $5.25 (peak)

14 minute layover in Far Rockaway

7:00PM train out of Far Rockaway to Jamaica. Arrive 7:31PM
Zone 4 to Zone 3 $3.50

9 minute layover in Jamaica

7:42PM train out of Jamaica to Port Jefferson. Transfer at Huntington at 8:24PM. Arrive 9:18PM.
Zone 3 to Zone 10 $6.25

22 minute layover at Port Jefferson

9:40PM train out of Port Jefferson to Penn Station. Transfer at Hicksville at 10:50PM. Arrive 11:33PM.
Zone 10 to Zone 1 $8.25

52 minute layover at Penn Station, break time.

12:21AM train out of Penn Station to Port Washington. Arrive 1:06AM.
Zone 1 to Zone 4 $5.25

22 minute layover at Port Washington

1:28AM train out of Port Washington to Penn Station. Arrive 2:12AM.
Zone 4 to Zone 1 $5.25

45 minute layover at Penn Station. Break time.

2:57AM train out of Penn Station to Hempstead. Transfer at Jamaica at 3:19AM. Arrive 3:50AM.
Zone 1 to Zone 4 $5.25

10 minute layover in Hempstead

4:00AM train out of Hempstead to Brooklyn. Arrive 4:49AM.
Zone 4 to Zone 1 $5.25

62 minute layover in Brooklyn, break time.

5:51AM train out of Brooklyn to West Hempstead. Arrive 6:38AM.
Zone 1 to Zone 4 $5.25

15 minute layover in West Hempstead

6:53AM train out of West Hempstead to Jamaica. Arrive 7:21AM.
Zone 4 to Zone 3 $5.25 (peak)

50 minute layover in Jamaica

8:11AM train out of Jamaica to Long Island City via Lower Montauk ROW. Arrive 8:34AM.
Zone 3 to Zone 1 $6.75 (peak)

7 train to 45th road to transfer to E train. 40 minutes to do so.

9:14AM train out of Jamaica to Hunterspoint Avenue. Arrive 9:30AM.
Zone 3 to Zone 1 $6.75 (peak)

Run to Hunterspoint Avenue 7 station. Take 7 train to Woodside. 29 minutes to do so.

9:59 train out of Woodside to Long Beach. Arrive 10:40AM.
Zone 1 to Zone 4 $5.25

14 minute layover in Long Beach

10:54AM train out of Long Beach to Jamaica. Arrive 11:25AM.
Zone 4 to Zone 3 $3.50

10 minute layover at Jamaica

11:35AM train out of Jamaica to Oyster Bay. Arrive 12:39PM.
Zone 3 to Zone 7 $6.25

62 minute layover in Oyster Bay

1:41PM train out of Oyster Bay to Mineola. Arrive 2:23PM.
Zone 7 to Zone 4 $2.25

52 minute layover at Mineola

3:15 train out of Mineola to Babylon via Central Branch. Arrive 3:40PM.
Zone 4 to Zone 10 $4.75

29 minute layover at Babylon

4:09PM train from Babylon to...

Bellmore - 4:32PM

Lynbrook - 4:47PM

Jamaica - 5:01PM

Penn Station - 5:20PM

End Trip!

Ultimate Rider Guidelines
Below is a little guide I formulated for people who are going to take the ultimate challenge and attend this trip.

The LIRR offers great accomidations in their cars such as full service bathrooms and power outlets. If you have a camera, or are bringing a laptop be sure to bring the charger. You can use the power outlets on the trains to charge your batteries. Bring a set of light toiletries such as a toothbrush and toothpaste, as well as some deodorant. I cannot stress the deodorant enough! The bathrooms on the C-3 and M-7 feature full sized sinks, which can be used to freshen up. Definetly make use of those!

Make sure to dress warm because as we move through Long Island, and go into the night, the tempurature can change dramatically. When you are tired, your body does not keep itself warm as well as it usually does. Inversely, having to keep yourself warm makes your body more tired than it already may be. So dress warmly!

Bring money for food, or be prepared to pack food. I recommend carrying money, because it is lighter. More about that later. We will have time on some of the layovers to grab a bite to eat. I don't see the food situation as a problem.

As I mentioned before, travel light when possible. While the necessities of the trip will put a lot of stuff in your pack, I recommend traveling as light as you can. Carrying around a heavy bag just makes you more tired. We have a number of hikes near the end of the trip, and that light pack will make it more tolerable. Bascially, pack what you need, but don't take something that you don't need and will only make your bag heavier.
http://commuter.transitspot.com/UltimateRide/ Hey will any of you guys be going on this trip I will not be there but would like to see pictures of this trip. over 30 hours on a LIRR train may be a little tough but a true railfan can do it

by tushykushy

Watch them cancel that Greenport scoot the day of your trip due to incliment weather....... :P

by KFRG

I don't know how you would be able to enjoy your tour of the system doing it in such a way. You would be so tired, plus it would be dark half the time.

-Tom

by IslesFan

I think its in the same boat as the subway ultimate trip that happened last year and was filmed. It might be rough, but It'll work.

BTW: I'm MetsFan4552 on subtalk... and I was helping John finalize this route eariler this week. I will most likly be on either part(s) of the trip, or the whole trip.

by JoeLIRR

tho the stright 30 hrs may be hard, this trip idea would really benifit most people if it was done in the summer.

Longer Day Light
warmer weather
need for less clothing (less weight)

jsut to name a few..

i like the idea tho.

by Lupo 10

Its a great idea touring the system but not in this format. Railroading as a hobby should be enjoyed at a leisurly pace. I don't see why endurance should be a factor. Sounds more like work than fun to me. But to each his own.

by Lupo 10

Although I recall the time when I went to pick up the Hy Rail truck that Twin Forks owns down in Hampton Virginia. Left L.I. at 4am, got to the U-Haul place to pick up our rental trailer to carry the truck in Virginia at 2pm, picked up the truck, hit the road again at 5pm and got back at 2am. All in the name of saving money on a hotel!

Talk about enducance in the name of your hobby! Never again!

by M1 9147

Talking on the ultimate fan trip, not a good idea if you are talking riding in complete darkness. Like Luppinacci said, take it leisurely, and that is the way I would put it. Railfanning is supposed to be done right, and precise without hassle. And of coarse, what would happen if the scoot would be cancelled, then what would you do?

by IslesFan

Since I'm not the coordinator of this... I can't answer what we'd do if the greenport scoot is bustituted, but I'm sure something will be figured out.

by jayrmli

If it were held in the Summer, you would need more than a stick of deodorant!

Jay

by RRChef

Freshen up in the sinks on the M-7's and C-3's??
Uh...no..I think I'll pass.

by Dave Keller

Anyone out there remember that 1960s movie "If it's Tuesday, This Must be Belgium?"

That's the kind of trip you're talking.

Dave Keller

P.S. The itinerary left out the photo session at Hempstead Crossing and the steamboat ride from Montauk dock back into NYC! DK :wink:

by Alcochaser

Thats nuts! 30 Hours on the craphole that is the LIRR?

by Peanuts

if anyone really does this... they should send me a PM... might be able to add a bonus to the trip!

by Peanuts

if anyone really does this... they should send me a PM... might be able to add a bonus to the trip!