Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Should th LIRR hold fantrips

yes
88%
No
12%

by badneighbor

....and at the end of the trip... all into a movie theatre to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles.... a real "Greatest Race' would include hiking all of the abandoned lines after the 30 hour marathon...back to back to back...

etc

by Noel Weaver

I would suggest you folks carry a few chocolate bars and a thermos of
good, strong coffee.
Noel Weaver

by Mr Met

I know it is still going on but did any of you guys go on it

by IslesFan

It got postponed.
Yesterday... Jamaica and all trains going east were extremely late.
Today... Greenport was being bustituted.

John said he decide he was going to wait until warmer weather(probably spring break time).

We are however currently in patchogue... at least riding for the hell of it.

by Mr Met

tell john his websites are very good and have some great pictures like this one Image btw how did he get this shot

by IslesFan

That shot was taken during the 6/19/04 MOD Trip. Our Lunch stop that day was City Hall Lower Level, where that train was laying up.

by NIMBYkiller

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen!

I didn't find out the trip was canceled until I was at Mineola for over an hour, lol. Sucks for me!
----------------------------------
"Six bucks and my right nut says we're not landing in Chicago"
  by BMT

Well, some railnutz are attempting to do this 'LIRR Ultimate Ride'. I believe someone attempted it this past weekend and got mixed results, due to the snowfall.

If anyone wants to follow this subject in more detail go to: www.subchat.com

BTW, the idea of the 'Ultimate Ride' started with a group of NYC Subway buffs who got the brainstorm to ride every line in the subway system on a single fare (i.e., without leaving the system). It was not done as an indurance speed-test, but the Cable-TV crew that taped their exploits made it sound that it was.

Again, the idea of an 'Utimate Ride' in and of itself isn't a bad idea, just not good to do in winter weather...too many factors (mostly the weather) to consider to make it a worthy endeavor...