Railroad Forums 

• WMSR Announces Lease of Georges Creek Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1637127  by TheOneKEA

WMSR Leases Georges Creek Line With Hopes to Run Passenger, Freight Trains

This is really exciting! I have so many questions about when and how the WMSR will schedule transfers of its freight and passenger locos and rolling stock along the CSX Mountain Sub, so that they can be maintained and serviced at the WMSR yard in Ridgely. The article makes no reference to where or how the rolling stock and locos used for the passenger operations on the line will be serviced, so I’m assuming that the WMSR will have to arrange for transfers along the Mountain Sub.

15 seconds of Googling shows that, while the old WM passenger station in Westernport still exists, it is adjacent to the Mountain Sub and is already in use as a museum. There also appears to be no space for a siding and servicing facilities for turning a locomotive or running around a passenger train. I checked the aerial views of the town and spotted a large brownfield site off of Creekside Dr SW, north of the existing junction between the Georges Creek Railway and the Mountain Sub, that looks like it could be used for a passenger station with a runaround loop, a turntable, and parking.

The article claims that passenger service could begin this year so I am very curious how many passenger stations in total will be built along the route and what the fares will be.