• WMATA Metrorail Trip Report 8/24 Friday with a cool twist

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Love Train

This afternoon I took the Metro from my home stop, Grosvenor-Strathmore, to Union Station to pick up my grandmother from New York, who's stopping by for a visit, and back.

Today was an extremely hot day, so I was glad I didn't have to wait a long time for my train as it was the beginning of the evening rush hours, and there were no delays this time unlike last week's fiasco. As a matter of fact, the train came in exactly two minutes upon arrival on the platform. My train was a six-car mixed train of Rohrs and Breda Rehabs, with the first four cars being Rohrs and two Breda Rehabs bringing up the rear. I was in Rohr #1107, the front car. This train was a Glenmont-bound train that originated at Shady Grove, so there were people on the train already, but it was only moderately crowded. The train never got extremely crowded; there was always standing room throughout the whole ride. This train had a braking problem; each decceleration was very rough. Otherwise, it was a smooth, easy ride.

Coming back, there was a Shady Grove-bound train sitting at the platform as we were approaching the turnstyles. My grandmother is elderly and cannot move very fast, and I don't like to rush anyway. We agreed that we would wait for the next train. Well, we got to the platform and the doors were still open, and they showed no immediate signs of closing, so we did in fact catch this train. We were in Breda Rehab #2057, the front car. The ride to Grosvenor was uneventful, but it was SRO. Luckily my grandmother was able to get a seat.

Now for the cool twist: When we got off the train at Grosvenor-Strathmore and the train left, I noticed that the last four cars of this six-car train were Rohrs. Then I looked at the number of the last car, and I was shocked to see that it was Rohr #1107! I rode the same train back home that I rode downtown! What a coincidence! That's actually happened to me twice now. Pretty cool, dontcha think? :-D

by Love Train

BTW, forgot to mention: On the way back home my train sat and waited at the platforms of Union Station, Judiciary Square, and Gallery Place for two minutes. The T/O announced that we were waiting because the train behind us was running behind schedule. Kudos to the T/O for being so clear and informative. I wish all T/Os were as articulate and informative as the young female T/O that I had today.