• WMATA Considering Rush Hour Fares on January 20

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by WMATAGMOAGH

From washingtonpost.com:

Rush-Hour Metro Fares Proposed for Inauguration Day

By Lena H. Sun
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 16, 2008; 12:29 PM

Metro is proposing to charge rush-hour fares on Inauguration Day, and regular parking fees at its lots. Normally, off-peak fares are charged on federal holidays and parking at Metro facilities is free.

In a radio interview today, Metro General Manager John B. Catoe Jr. said the transit agency will be recommending the fare and fee change to its board on Thursday. The decision will be made by the board, he said.

Agency officials had initially said they would charge off-peak fares on Jan. 20. But given the huge crowds expected, with estimates ranging from at least 1 million people to up 4 million in attendance, Metro will be running unprecedented rush-hour service for 15 consecutive hours that day, from an early opening at 4 a.m. until 7 p.m. The agency is also staying open until 2 a.m.; the normal weekday closing time is midnight.

"These are going to be very high expenses for the Metro system," Catoe said on WTOP radio. "We shouldn't minimize the impact."

Charging rush-hour fares will help the agency cover some costs. "We will ask the federal government to reimburse us for any difference between the fares and the cost of operating the services," he said.

A one-way, off-peak trip from the Shady Grove Metrorail station, one end of the Red Line in Montgomery County, to the Gallery Place-Chinatown station in downtown Washington, costs $2.35. The same trip costs $4.50 during rush-hour.

Metro also has parking at 42 of its 86 stations, mostly in the suburbs. Parking is free on weekends and federal holidays, but agency officials say they are recommending that users pay the normal fee to help offset the cost of hiring a private contractor to oversee parking that day. Parking fees vary, ranging from $4.25 to $4.75.

In addition, customers will be able to pay for parking with cash as well as Metro's electronic SmarTrip card, he said.

Of the nearly 60,000 parking spaces available at Metro lots, Catoe said some would be set aside to accommodate parking for about 1,200 charter buses, leaving more than 40,000 spaces available to the public.

Secret Service and other officials estimate there will be about 10,000 charter buses coming to the Washington area, and plans to find parking for those buses are still being worked out, with numbers changing daily, officials said.

Catoe urged riders and visitors to plan for huge crowds and long delays. "Anyone who has to come to work that day, leave one hour before you normally leave," he said.

Riders should check Metro's Web site to see whether bus routes will be detoured because of last-minute street closures.

For those living in the District, Catoe suggested taking buses instead of the subway because those trains will be so crowded with passengers coming in from the end-of-the-line stations. Those living within two to three miles of the Mall should walk, if possible, he said.

Catoe said Virginia transportation officials are considering designating a bus-only priority corridor on I-66. The Memorial Bridge will be restricted to pedestrians and emergency vehicles only. The 14th Street and Roosevelt bridges will be restricted to bus and authorized vehicles only.
  by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, that's something, no Cards accepted, that's gonna be a bit of a pain. At least I'm 460 miles here in Boston and I'll be working uphere as usual
  by WMATAGMOAGH

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh wow, that's something, no Cards accepted, that's gonna be a bit of a pain. At least I'm 460 miles here in Boston and I'll be working uphere as usual
Considering how many people won't have Smartrip cards since they are from out of town its a good idea
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
What got me is that they weren't accepting SmarTrips for parking AT ALL, vs. cash-or-SmarTrip like they used to do.

The primary reason WMATA chose to establish cash as the only method of payment for use of their parking lots is because they expected MOST of the folks that would use lots would be people that are first time user and people from out of town that have never used the system before and will likely not use the system again in the near future.