• Wilton Scenic's future?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Steam

Word has it that there's a possibiltiy of the WS starting up again. Anyone know any more about it?

by DutchRailnut

probably just rumour

by citystation1848

The only place I've heard this is from the Nashua newspaper. Haven't heard anything from the family.

Matt
WSRR

by Steam

Any further word on the sad demise of the Wilton Scenic? Many of us had hoped that someone would step in and buy the RDCs and resume the operation. What a sad thing after all the work and expense of upgrading the track, etc., only to have it go back to nature again.

We were able to ride the head end a couple of times and video the entire operation from there. Unfortunately they had not gotten all the way to Greenfield at that point. Had so hoped to be able to one day ride through Elmwood and up to Bennington. Guess that's never going to happen now.

Thanks to Stu Draper for one last chance to ride the Hillsboro Branch up Wilton Hill.

by citystation1848

Well, the train is still for sale, still sitting, still waiting for a buyer. I've heard that has been no interest lately in buying the train. It definately is a disappointment for everyone to see something that did so much to boost the economy of Wilton to fall so quickly.

Don't worry, between my father and I, the railroad is well documented, both video (train ride w/commentary and train chase) and still (My name is Matt, and I'm a photoholic). I can remember coming home on Columbus Day weekends. I'd work one day on the train and chase it the next. "Matt, don't you have enough photos of this train already???" And my response would be always, "Of course not, can never have enough photos." I'm glad I took those photos...

*warning, sales pitch ahead*

For those of you interested in the history and everything of the Wilton Scenic, I'm finishing up a book that I've been writing. It started as a book to sell on the train as many people had requuested a copy of the commentary. Well, it's almost done, but now its more an overall look at the railroad along with a more detailed "Along the Line" part since the ride is no longer available. Price has yet to be determined, but the title is "The Hillsboro Branch - Wilton to Bennington." It should be ready by the end of the month. Did I mention that its chock full of photographs and the entire thing is in color? Book will be for sale at least on my website, not too sure on any physical locations just yet.

Matt

The Wilton Hobo
Former WSRR Conductor