• WILLOW GROVE R2 STATION MAY FALL TO THE WRECKING BALL

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by rdgrailfan

The powers to be are reviewing a proposal from the "redevelopment" authority to move the Willow Grove train station away from downtown further up the line about 200 yards and move a flower shop to the corner property for better "view and business access”.

The plan may reduce the present parking both at the station and the secondary lot.

Interesting, that the “developer” is the same person that is proposing the value of the transportation hub for Bellmawr.. Ok to have a train station hub for NJ but not for WG since the value of the land is really of great value. The increased passenger count at the station would result for the redevelopment, moving the station would remove it from the “Grand Plan”.

Early stages but appears the developers see added value in that corner property, but do not care if they remove the train service from downtown planning?

I hope SEPTA understands the value of the present location and if they sell off the station get a fair market value and replace it with an “Oak Lane” type station with equal or improved parking that will fit into the redevelopment plan.

by Launcher

I do not think moving the stop further from the willow grove mall is such a good idea after all. would help if the folks at 1234 had ever taken the r2 before, you know, for a mall excursion at least.

by jfrey40535

At least now you can walk to the mall, or make a connection with the 22 or 55. Forget it if they move it. What about the station being a historic building? Or if this is SEPTA's way of getting someone to buy them a new station with high level platforms?
  by glennk419

rdgrailfan wrote:The powers to be are reviewing a proposal from the "redevelopment" authority to move the Willow Grove train station away from downtown further up the line about 200 yards and move a flower shop to the corner property for better "view and business access”.
The corner of York & Davisville is barely wide enough to park a car. Where are they going to build, over the tracks?

From the artist's rendering that was in the paper a few weeks ago, it looked like the existing station would stay put with a pedestrian bridge connecting the office complex and parking garage slated to be built on the current Home Depot and Bally's sites. I also noticed that some of the businesses are starting to move out of the strip along York Road, not that that's been a bustling area to begin with.

by SCB2525

Why exactly is Willow Grove single tracked?

by Clearfield

SCB2525 wrote:Why exactly is Willow Grove single tracked?
The entire line is and always was single tracked from Roslyn to New Hope with the execptions of passing sidings.

by SCB2525

I mean the station itself. There is obviously a disused inbound track through the station which seems foolish to me.

by aem7

That track was placed there in the late '80's when the rail replacement project was going on, in an attempt to move the siding limits south of Davisville Rd. However, the cost of moving the signal huts and interlocking was prohibitive and the plan was abandoned shortly after the rail was laid.