• Will Reading, MA ever see freights trains again?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Finch

theman8318 wrote:Okay .. so an Amtrak train went by at 9:50 p.m. with only two amtrak cars? It couldn't be the downeaster..??? What is going on with the Reading/Haverill line?
Must have just been an equipment move for the Downeaster. This was on the Haverhill line? Maybe they just decided to run it that way to avoid traffic on the Lowell line. Or to keep their qualifications current for the Haverhill line or something.
  by GP40MC1118

That was return side of an equipment extra headed to Portland. The
crew and some extra equipment were tacked on the end of No.686.
At North Station, the extra crew took that stuff to Southampton St
Yard for service.

They went via Reading as to eliminate two back up moves if going out
the Lowell main/Wildcat. It only happened because they came
back from the southside in the time right slot (behind 239).

D
  by theman8318

Well my prayers were answered.

Small-Freight load (PanAm) went by my house at 12:16 AM.

Probably a detour and will never see that again for a while .. haha

Dave :-D
  by jbvb

theman8318 wrote: Small-Freight load (PanAm) went by my house at 12:16 AM. Probably a detour and will never see that again for a while ..
According to this thread (http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=70684), if Spectacle Pond in Littleton stays high, you might see a Bow unit coal train in the next night or two.
  by theman8318

JUST went by my house again. 2:19 AM!

I could get used to this. See PanAM .. This route isn't so bad after all :)

Dave
  by Fred

Hi Guys...newbie here, but a lifelong train buff.

I live about 1/4 mile from the Wakefield station on the Haverhill line.

Last night at 3:30 I was awakened by a freight train! I was shocked! Judging by the sound, I'd estimate it was going 20-25 mph, and seemed to take about 2-3 minutes to completely pass.

Any idea what train this was, and if it will be back again?
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>> Any idea what train this was,

Probably a detour move around the flooding near Ayer.

>> and if it will be back again?

Sure ... next flood :-D

Hi Fred - many years ago, I also lived about 1/4 mile from the tracks in Wakefield.

PBM
  by FatNoah

is it possible piantedosi is getting shipments again?
Not that this is news, but the spur to Piantedosi looks officially kaput. I was in the area this weekend and the crossing has been removed and new curbing has been installed on the sidewalks on both sides of the street..
  by tom18287

yeah, i noticed that too. what a bummer. the "3 tracks" sign is still up, back from when the saugus branch was double tracked + the spur.