• Will DRGW Moffat Tunnel work affect Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jim55

I'll be in Evergreen Colorado lateon July 22. Can one drive to the East portal or is it closed up? Also has the Amtrak schedule held up? Is there any hope of seeing Amtrak 5/6 at the tunnel on July 23. Thanks, Jim :)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Glad to see, Mr. Jim 55, you have chosen to sign up over here. I enjoy your material posted elsewhere.

As I recall, the West Portal of Moffatt is rather accessible insomuch as a Ski Resort at Winter Park, or the Ski Train's destination, is right there. The East Portal, I'm not so sure, but I really should defer to others.

For July 23, the Amtrak website shows bustitution in both directions Denver-Grand Junction. Therefore you may be looking at a "dry gulch", even for DRGW/UP freight action to observe that day.

by John_Perkowski

There is a road that runs right up to the eastern headhouse for Moffatt Tunnel. If you go to topozone.com and use Winter Park as the keyplace you'll see the topography the Moffatt runs under.

What I cannot tell you is how that road connects down the Front Range to Denver.

John