• Wilkes Barre area railfanning

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by lensovet

Hey all,
I'm in the Wilkes Barre area for the next two days (just tomorrow and tuesday) and was wondering what sort of rail activity there is around here? More specifically I'm curious about the ROW that hugs the Susquehanna River (and crosses it a number of times in Kingston), but any area info is greatly appreciated!

by metman499

That is CP, formerly Wilkes-Barre Connecting (D&H/PRR). It sees something like 10 trains a day. There is also a shortline, the Luzerne & Susquehanna, that runs right through downtown Wilkes-Barre. Down 309 to 437 in Mountain Top (Penobscot) there is a Reading and Northern Yard.
  by 2nd trick op

Here's a link to a thread from last summer on the joint CP/NS operations on the (former PRR) Sunbury line; this operation has evolved into the prominent player in the Anthracite region today.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by tellu_whut

Don't forget that the R&N has another yard a few miles north of WB in Pittston. It is of course off limits, but you can see a loco or two right along Rte 11, which is Main St. in Pittston.

by lensovet

so ... does anyone know of specific times for traffic on this line? i was within hearing distance all of daylight today and didn't hear (or see) a thing, though i did hear two horns on the wilkes-barre side of the river.

by AdamCKach

Re: hearing distance. The only blasts you'll hear are at crossings in Nanticoke, Hanover and Slaba's Hill (in the area of the Hollenback section of Wilkes-Barre). There are not many crossings between Nescopeck and Duryea. If you don't have a scanner, it's often difficult.

They don't run on a hard schedule. Early mornings, however, are best, and very late nights are nearly as good.

If you want to see definite movements, I suggest heading south on Rte. 309 to Mountaintop. Turn left after the fire station helipad (driving away from Soloman's Gap) and you'll come across the Reading & Northern's Penobscot Yard. It's not large, but the folks switch out the industrial park further south.

In addition, I also suggest the tracks in Duryea, which is a few miles north of Wilkes-Barre. The CP Sunbury and R&N Lehigh meet, and you'll be able to see movements coming and going north and south from both lines, as opposed to only the CP Sunbury movements.

by metman499

CP will often blow for the southern bridge over the Susquehanna as it sees a lot of trespassers.

by Heidelbergbreaker

A slight correction to Adam's post.
The CP and R&N junction is actually in Dupont along Route 11 or what the locals call the Pittston bypass. In the vicinity of the Pittston / Duryea line is where the R & N Taylor branch, the Lehighton to Mehoopany line. and the L&S to Wilkes-Barre all meet.
The route 11 bridge on the Avoca / Dupont border is over both the R&N
and CP (D&H) tracks.