• Wild Turkey Alert on the old LV!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BigDell

I thought this was great....
http://www.wnbc.com/news/4401063/detail.html

Wild Turkeys Terrorize N.J. Neighborhood
Officials believe the birds are living in the brush along the old Leheigh Valley railway.
Note their spelling of "Lehigh"...

Obviously if you're railfanning the old LV line in Cranford, DO be careful not to p*ss off the wild turkeys...

BigDell

by JLo

They are all over the place. I just missed hitting one driving in Warren Twp. just the other day as it "flew' across the road a little bit too low.

by CNJFAN

Yes they seem to be growing in numbers like the deer population in NJ.
I have seen a few huge turkeys in my own yard and they are big one's.

by markyk

I thought it was just me......

The other night while waiting for the circus train to come east down at Potter just after midnight....

I was hearing quick footsteps on the dry brush of the pipeline right of way...coming towards me....

I made a few shushing noises not to wake up my neighbors, but the footsteps became quicker and louder, so I ran back into the house and sure enough it was about 3 of those wild turkeys passing through

by Tri-State Tom

mark -

You were well advised to move it....those dang things don't scare easy. One once chased me when it/me got within about 25 yards of each other.

If it drops it's head....RUN !

by railroadcarmover

i think the turkeys get wild when they see all the resultant track downgrading that Conrail performed years back. This may explain why they are being aggressive towards people that are near the ROW. Perhaps they think their "victims" are railroad employees.
Once NS and CSX implement their track projects i think the turkeys will chill out.
I think the turkeys are also tired of seeing widecab locomotives on the LV.

by nick11a

railroadcarmover wrote:i think the turkeys get wild when they see all the resultant track downgrading that Conrail performed years back. This may explain why they are being aggressive towards people that are near the ROW. Perhaps they think their "victims" are railroad employees.
Once NS and CSX implement their track projects i think the turkeys will chill out.
Are we talking about the same kind of turkeys. :wink:

by markyk

a new breed

Turkey NIMBY's!!!!

by Lackawanna484

railroadcarmover wrote:i think the turkeys get wild when they see all the resultant track downgrading that Conrail performed years back. This may explain why they are being aggressive towards people that are near the ROW. Perhaps they think their "victims" are railroad employees.
Don't let Chief Bober of NJT PD see this, he'll have his Kops out defending the Raritan Valley line against turkey trespassers...

by railroadcarmover

I was referring to the actual turkey, but yes, lol, i would consider the nimby turkey to be another breed of turkey. Moreso mutated though, and unitelligent.

I can only imagine the uproar from the wild turkeys when a Loram rail grinder comes along.

by Alcochaser

This problem can be easily fixed with a Remington SP10A. Kudos to those who know what that is.

Hey look.. DINNER!

by CR6618

JLo wrote:They are all over the place. I just missed hitting one driving in Warren Twp. just the other day as it "flew' across the road a little bit too low.
Yes, they take off low and slow and don't seem to care where they do it. Three of them were on the side of the road on the NY Thruway, south of Albany. Everyone is driving 80mph+. The turkeys decide to take off by flying in front of traffic. The van next to me hit one and blew the bird to pieces. Feathers flew all over my car. The van had to stop as his lights were broken. Could have been a nasty accident.

by ChooChooHead2

I rode my bike through the area, and didn't see one turkey. Foreign power on the Lehigh Line was plentiful, however. A Southern Pacific and BNSF train headed south as another pulled by two UP locos headed north.

I'll take that any day over killer raptors!

by railroadcarmover

I guess the turkeys dislike foreign road power.

by Zeke

On the RVL west of Old Mountain Road, Lebanon a gang ? of wild turkeys roost in the trees along the south side of the main. This past summer one of our F-40s had a terrible odor emanating from what everyone thought was the chemical toilet in the short hood. All of the engineers that ran this unit were complaining to the last trick Raritan pipefitter to drain and replace the toilet water. Two nights in a row he drained the chemical water and replaced it but to no avail the odors got even stronger. Most engineers are a cranky bunch and small scale wildcat boycott of this F was in the works particularlly after one engineer reported he was gagging from Newark to Raritan on his last westbound trip. Finally the laborer discovered a 30 pound tom turkey wedged in between the front pilot and the snowplow, dead as a doornail and slowly roasting on every trip to Newark. I could not believe how strong the smell was it would knock you down from 20 feet away. We all laughed like hell as the laborer donned a gas mask and grabbed a steam cleaning hose and blasted that turkey out of its lair. He sure got his revenge on us for hitting him !