• Wilbur Frey Locomotive Exhibit. A MUST SEE!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eriemike

Just saw the Wilbur Frey locomotive exhibit at the Walker Transportation Collection/Beverly Historical Society & Museum. Words can not explain how great these models are. I could never do what Mr. Frey did. He would even put all of the bolt heads on the tenders. The detail is that good. It was all made by hand and out of wood and cardboard, which is all the more amazing.

They had 25 of them and I have never seen anything like it. One of the models had to be 8 feet long, it was of a Southern Pacific cab forward and the level of detail is absolutely amazing. Most of the models on display are of B&M. I didn't realize how many different types of steam locomotives that the B&M had. There was an early B&M 4-4-0 that was in all fancied up like you see in those older photos. They had a B&M Mountain, Berkshire, 3 Pacific's, Atlantic, Mogul, Mikado and Consolidation. There was one Central Vermont, A Boston & Albany Suburban tank engine, 2 Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes (#10 and #24), a Kennebec Central and a model of a Mt. Washington Cog locomotive. They also had a working 6 foot diameter turntable with a five foot long Southern Pacific 4-8-4 Daylight on the thing.

I am certainly going back there. I highly recommend anyone who loves New England steam to go.

by Steam

The Beverly Historical Society will be closed over the Christmas and New Year's weekends, so you should plan a visit after that... up until February 26, 2006. Tell all your friends not to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to see 25 of Wilbur's engines together! The Southern Pacific cab-forward alone is worth the trip. It's 8 feet long over the couplers!!!

by Steam

Anyone planning to go to the Wenham Train Show on the 7th should consider also visiting the Frey Locomotive Exhibit at the Beverly Historical Society. It's only about 4 miles away in the center of downtown Beverly. Just follow Rte. 1-A south from Wenham. Beverly is the next town.

by Steam

People in the area who plan to see George Sellios' layout in Peabody before heading to Springrield for the Amherst show, should also consider stopping at Beverly to take in the Wilbur Frey locomotive exhibit. With only a month to go, time is running out.

by highrail

hey Steam,

Is there a set time/date for George's place? The last couple times that I have called it did not seem like he was doing any open houses.

Steve

by Steam

The past few years George has opened his place on the Friday of the Amherst weekend for the benefit of those on their way to the Big E. You should check with him to see if he is continuing that practice this year. In any event, come see the show at Beverly Historical Society. It's only 4 miles from Peabody, at 117 Cabot Street, downtown Beverly. You won't be disappointed!

by eriemike

I'll certainly be back! I'm going to bring some friends by the same weekend of the Springfield Show. I told them they had to see the Frey locomotives as words simply can't explain what they are. They are a sight to see! It is also worth seeing George's layout if he is open.

Be there or be square!

by eriemike

I made it back to see this exhibit. There is only 3 weeks left. Has anyone else been to see this exhibit? If you haven't, you really owe it to yourself to see it.
  by Agent at Clicquot

eriemike wrote:I made it back to see this exhibit. There is only 3 weeks left. Has anyone else been to see this exhibit? If you haven't, you really owe it to yourself to see it.
Hi

I'd like to see this exhibit ... what are the hours it's open? I check the Walker Trans and Beverly Historical Society sites ... neither listed hours for the exhibit.

Thanks,

* JB *

by eriemike

The postcard I got from them states they are opened:

T, Th, F, Sat. 10am to 4pm, W 1pm to 9pm, and Sun. 1pm to 4pm.

Hope that this helps.
  by Agent at Clicquot

eriemike wrote:The postcard I got from them states they are opened:

T, Th, F, Sat. 10am to 4pm, W 1pm to 9pm, and Sun. 1pm to 4pm.

Hope that this helps.
It does. Thanks!

* JB *

by Steam

As a reminder... this fabulous exhibit is scheduled to close after Sunday, 2/26. So if you want to see it, head for Beverly NOW. It is not likely that this many of Frey's models will ever be gathered in one place again. Don't procrastinate any longer!
  by Agent at Clicquot

Steam wrote:As a reminder... this fabulous exhibit is scheduled to close after Sunday, 2/26. So if you want to see it, head for Beverly NOW. It is not likely that this many of Frey's models will ever be gathered in one place again. Don't procrastinate any longer!
If you snooze, you loose!

In addition to two dozen or so engines under plexiglass, is an SP GS-4 (that's a Daylight to AT&SF types :-) on a turntable you can crank! There's a mock-up on Frey's workbench, complete with partially finished driver wheelsets and other bit's of steam engine. Next to the bench is a video playing an interview of the builder himself.

A fascinating exhibit.

* JB *

by eriemike

I was up at the Methuen Library and found B&M #4113 on display there. It was built by Wilbur Frey and is worth seeing. It is owned by a local gentleman who lent it to the library.

I have seen the two Wilbur Locomotives that are at the Wenham Museum. They have a UP "Big Boy" at almost 8 feet long and a B&M 4-4-0 "Nahant."

I know that the Conway Scenic has 3 or 4 Wilbur Frey models. Does anybody know if there are any others out there? He built 175 of these so some must still survive.

by eriemike

I heard that this exhibit was going to be open today, Monday 2/20 from 1 to 4.

I also heard that they might be putting together a book on Wilbur Frey and the locomotives he built. Now that would be very cool.