• Why is road power connected rear to rear?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Warmachine

Any reason why Locomotives are connected in pairs butt to butt as apposed to nose to butt?
  by charlie6017

Warmachine wrote:Any reason why Locomotives are connected in pairs butt to butt as apposed to nose to butt?
First things first, I changed the title to be more appropriate.

Road power is usually placed like this so there is not a need to send the power into a "wye" to turn it. Power can be used in any direction so that the short hood can lead.

Also, I will send this to the operations forum as this is not entirely a CSX question.

Charlie
  by Warmachine

Ok thanks for that. Sorry, I don't know all the correct teminology just yet.
  by Ocala Mike

Does this generally apply to Amtrak road power as well? If not, why not?
  by DutchRailnut

A freight unit can run backwards(no restrictions) with a little effort, but an Amtrak train would have a problem( restricted speed or medium speed) with both units coupled back to back if a lead unit broke down.
so in general with Amtrak both units will face the same way.
They don't have to many places were the train or engines can't be turned at final destinations.
  by charlie6017

Warmachine wrote:Ok thanks for that. Sorry, I don't know all the correct teminology just yet.
Not a problem! :-)

Charlie
  by gp9rm4108

Actually there are restrictions on some railroads for units running reverse or ones not equipped with pilots - eg. yard units.

On CN ... if the leading end of the leading locomotive does not have a pilot (some sort of plow or wedge and not just the straight verticle plate) then the movement is restricted to a max speed of 25mph.
  by DutchRailnut

In US a locomotive without pilot plate can't lead at all.

PART 229_RAILROAD LOCOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Safety Requirements

Sec. 229.123 Pilots, snowplows, end plates.

After January 1, 1981, each lead locomotive shall be equipped with
an end plate that extends across both rails, a pilot, or a snowplow. The
minimum clearance above the rail of the pilot, snowplow or end plate
shall be 3 inches, and the maximum clearance 6 inches.