• Why doesn't Ford Motor Co. make locomotives?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by conrail_engineer

scharnhorst wrote:
BlackDog wrote:GM is so screwed up I'll bet they forgot they made locomotives for 30 years. When they found out, they said "What's this all about? We are an auto manufacturer. Get rid of it!"
Someone told me that they knew someone who worked for the Lehigh Valeey R.R. who went to a car dealership with serial numbers for window glass used in EMD Locomotive and was able to get replacement glass for a locomotive. This would have been in the late 50's early 60's.
Since that time, the FRA has specific requirements for locomotive glass.

The glass used in locomotives has to meet FRA Part 223 Sec. B standards.

All locomotives I use come with glass identified as made by "Sully North America" or Sully, Incorporated. Apparently they're the only company that's willing to take on the liability risk involved with supplying glass to the rail industry.

by shortlinerailroader

They do...its called the F550.

Re:

by Jtgshu

JoeG wrote:General Motors doesn't make locomotives either. They spun off EMD a couple of years ago. Neither does Chrysler.
Not quite............... :P

I just remembered something about NJT's newest electric locomotives (from 2001-2002) the ALP46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALP-46

They were built by Bombardier and ADtranz.

From Wikipedia (not my favorite source of reference, but this is correct, as far as I know)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adtranz
ADtranz (alternative spelling ADtranz, complete name ABB Daimler Benz Transportation) was a German-Swedish rail rolling stock equipment manufacturer which designed rail cars and engines. It was created in 1996 in the merger of ABB Henschel and AEG Transportation. Initially it was owned with equal shares by Daimler-Benz and ABB. In 1999 DaimlerChrysler bought ABB's shares and renamed Adtranz to "DaimlerChrysler Rail Systems".

Bombardier Transportation acquired the company in 2001, making Bombardier the largest rail equipment manufacturer in the world. At the time of its purchase, ADtranz was the world's second largest manufacturer of such equipment.
While the '46s don't have a Chrysler Pentastar or anything on them, they do sort of look like an 84 Dodge Caravan! hahahahha ( im kidding )
  by GSC

I seem to recall a shortline featuring 44-tonner type locomotives that sported Ford grilles on each end, and had the Ford signature painted on the cab sides. I'm thinking an upstate NY line, and not Ford plant switchers. Have to get out the old Diesel Spotters Guide...
  by pablo

You're probably thinking of the old centercabs that used to be run by Ford. There was one in Gowanda until recently, when it was trucked out to North East, PA. They were former WAG units, too, if I remember.

I was wrong, by being right, a while ago: I thought that they had even run by Ford power. I was laughed around a bit, but I knew I had seen some power that had been run by Ford engines, and in fact there were. Just not these. Somoeone was able to dig up some stuff about them.

I believe they are just a GE centercab, that once worked for Ford. That's all.

Dave Becker
  by GSC

Wellsville Addison & Galeton, that was the line I couldn't think of. Thanks Pablo.

I knew they were GE units, the Ford grilles made them unique.
  by westr

There are pictures of the Ford/WAG GE centercabs at http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel128.html near the bottom. As I recall from the Diesel Spotters Guide (don't have it in front of me, so could be wrong), the story behind them was that Ford ordered them from GE in the late 30s for use moving cars at Detroit-area plants, special-ordered with the unique Ford-like grilles matching auto styling of the time. After Ford retired them, they were sold to the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton.

EDIT: Checked the Second Diesel Spotters Guide (1973) and here's the info about the GE centercabs built for Ford:
The first of the 8 centercabs for Ford appeared in September 1937. #1000 & #1001 were built in 1937, #1002-1005 were built in 1939 and #1006 & #1007 were built in 1940. Weights ranged from 125-132 tons. All except #1005 went to the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton. The disposition of #1005 isn't mentioned.