• whole foods 21st & callowhill MOVING?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by nittany4

I have no proof to back this up, but a friend of mine who works in the neighborhood in a real estate position says he heard that whole foods is relocating a few blocks east.

does this in ANY way have anything to do with plans to convert the 48 bus line to streetcar/light rail using the 15 tracks and city subway?

next to the boulevard subway, this is a corridor with a ton of people that would see huge ridership

on second thought, they probably just need a bigger store

:(

by R3toNEC

I think that latter is the answer.
  by Matthew Mitchell

nittany4 wrote:I have no proof to back this up, but a friend of mine who works in the neighborhood in a real estate position says he heard that whole foods is relocating a few blocks east.

does this in ANY way have anything to do with plans to convert the 48 bus line to streetcar/light rail using the 15 tracks and city subway?
No. The City Branch project is far from the point where they start acquiring properties. See the December DVARP newsletter for more information.

by nittany4

their december newsletter is not on their website

http://www.dvarp.org/newsletter/

can you summarize what they said?

and

how far is FAR?

10 years? 50 years?

you have to start somewhere

by Matthew Mitchell

nittany4 wrote:their december newsletter is not on their website

http://www.dvarp.org/newsletter/
Yep. We do not post current newsletters, because we want them to be an incentive for you to join DVARP.
can you summarize what they said?
Yep. I wrote the article. B^)
and

how far is FAR?

10 years? 50 years?
The project is in the study phase, and at the 'long list' stage. That means they have a bunch of alternatives that will be evaluated for feasibility and narrowed down to a shortlist of two or three alternatives that will be the subject of more detailed cost and ridership projections.

The article goes on to describe the alternatives and how they differ (alignment in Parkside, alignment in Center City, and BRT vs. light rail mode).

If SEPTA is going to apply for New Starts money for this project, it isn't going to reach the construction phase for at least five years. You have to complete the study, determine a Locally Preferred Alternative, apply for and get approval from FTA, do the preliminary engineering, apply for and get funding, do final engineering and design, and then build.

by nittany4

thnaks

so in other words, we'll be dead and buried and never be able to ride a 48 streetcar/LRV in our (nor our children's) lifetimes

fabulous

:(

by westernfalls

If I recall correctly, SEPTA bought the rail line, across town and out through the Pennsylvania Ave. subway, from Conrail for $9 million about ten years ago and then tried to dream up something grand to do with it and that's how we wound up with a proposed 55 mile trolley line to a shopping mall west of Reading. Or maybe my imagination has rejiggered some old factoids.

by Matthew Mitchell

westernfalls wrote:If I recall correctly, SEPTA bought the rail line, across town and out through the Pennsylvania Ave. subway, from Conrail for $9 million about ten years ago and then tried to dream up something grand to do with it and that's how we wound up with a proposed 55 mile trolley line to a shopping mall west of Reading.
That's more or less how it happened, though the "cocktail napkin" on which said plan was drawn is now closer to 15 years old. And while I was checkingon the age of that plan in which the Schuylkill Valley Metro was introduced, I noticed the following about it:

Originally, the document was intended to be a public information tool, but has more recently been accepted by the organization as its long-range plan.

by mannynews

Whole Foods is considering moving. Economics is the reason, the store has outgrown it's current location and has been entertaining offers from local condo developers, possibly for a full block location. No final decisions have been made.

by nittany4

mannynews wrote:Whole Foods is considering moving. Economics is the reason, the store has outgrown it's current location and has been entertaining offers from local condo developers, possibly for a full block location. No final decisions have been made.
so they will obviously ruin the city subway for rail travel even more (plus sell the "property" to hundreds of NIMBYs)

how come if this were st. louis or san diego or dallas or seattle or protland or buffalo, there would've been a rail line in that ditch for the past 30 years?

we stink!

STINK!!!!!