Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMC

Everybody sues the LIRR. I remember shortly after I got hired reading about a miliion dollar pus "settlement" for a woman who was RUNNING for an already MOVING train that was departing out of Hunterspoint Ave. She missed and lost both her legs. She sued and won.

People see the RR as a faceless state entity with oodles of money and sue everyday. And you know the theory of lawsuits ..if you want 1 million, you sue for 2 and they make a settlement at what you wanted in the first place.
  by N340SG

A few years back there was an article in the paper about some dude who overslept on his train, and woke up in KO yard. Well, he was so crushed by this incident that every time he saw a train after that, he puked and his hair fell out (You know the drill). He and his lawyer felt that this horrific experience was worth a couple million in damages.
If I were judge and jury, I would have awarded him at most one free month LIRR ticket and a cherry lollipop. (I don't know what the actual outcome of the case was.)
  by Clemuel

It was 1987 and the Senator's family was touring the new Tower in his namesake yard.

A young woman in the VIP group approached one supervisor in the Tower.

"Where do I know you from," she said with a half smile.

He remembered those brown eyes. Some six year earlier, he had looked into the eyes of that same girl, saw the signs of life and told her "don't worry... you'll be alright".

He took a deep breath. "I don't know, but you do look familiar...,"

I wonder if she ever knew...