• Who was Edward Ullman? The Name on 32003

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

An Amtrak Board member who was designated as a "Consumer Representative". Another Board Member holding same title was Joseph V. McDonald (whom I once met); he had a Heritage 10-6 Sleeper named for him.

Both gentlemen are deceased.

by AmtrakFan

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also who was A. Phillip Randolph?

AmtrakFan

by TomNelligan

A. Philip Randolph (1889-1979) was the longtime head of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, the first American trade union comprised primarily of African-Americans, and a major figure both in passenger railroading and in the US civil rights movement. For further details see http://www.aphiliprandolphmuseum.com/

by walt

In addition to the information posted by Tom, it should be noted that Mr. Randolph was the principal organizer of the 1963 March on Washington ( which I was fortunate enough to attend as a 19 year old). This event is most accociated with the "I have a dream" speech given by Martin Luther King, Jr., but in reality the event was A. Phillip Randolph's show.

by railfanofewu

TomNelligan wrote:A. Philip Randolph (1889-1979) was the longtime head of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, the first American trade union comprised primarily of African-Americans, and a major figure both in passenger railroading and in the US civil rights movement. For further details see http://www.aphiliprandolphmuseum.com/
Now that is somebody they should name a whole station after.

by walt

railfanofewu wrote:
TomNelligan wrote:A. Philip Randolph (1889-1979) was the longtime head of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, the first American trade union comprised primarily of African-Americans, and a major figure both in passenger railroading and in the US civil rights movement. For further details see http://www.aphiliprandolphmuseum.com/
I second that emotion! :-D

by Gilbert B Norman

I presume the one named car, WGC, we have not discussed needs no introduction?

Possibly "DLG" will have one named for him when he eventually deceases.

by railfanofewu

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I presume the one named car, WGC, we have not discussed needs no introduction?

Possibly "DLG" will have one named for him when he eventually deceases.
Correct about that one.

by RMadisonWI

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Possibly "DLG" will have one named for him when he eventually deceases.
Assuming, of course, there's a car left to bear his name when he's gone.

by railfanofewu

Good point that you have there. Mr. Madison. They need to fix up the cars they have out of service, pronto.

by AmtrakFan

Yes I would agree maybe CUS or LAUPT which I hate LAUPT too hot and Smelly.

AmtrakFan
  by 2nd trick op

There's a new book out, "Rising From the Rails", by Larry Tye; an examination of the role of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, not only in civil rights, but in the development of an ethic of upward mobility among all African-Americans.

Also, a couple - no, make that about ten years ago, one of the high-end cable channels produced "The Promised Land", a series examining the post-WWII migration of many black southerners northward. This series had some excellent commentary on the distribution of the newspaper "Chicago Defender" through the Deep South by Pullman employees.