• Who Pays Attention To This Notice On Schedule Racks???

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

"Schedules are free, but they are also expensive to print. Please take no more than two at a time." I believe that is how it's worded. It is a small sign on train/bus schedule racks at Center City stations. How many people actually notice or pay attention to that sign? Does SEPTA ever enforce that "rule"? I've taken more than two many times, even as many as ten, and never been approached about it. There also have been times I would take a handful when they set up tables at Market East or 30th Street with boxes full of them when new schedules go into effect, and still, no one said anything to me.

by Clearfield

Don't sweat the small stuff..................
  by flynnt

SubwayTim wrote:How many people actually notice or pay attention to that sign? Does SEPTA ever enforce that "rule"?
Fair questions. I don't know.

I doubt many people are taking handfuls. Don't know if the small sign would deter people who design to bogart handfuls of schedules. Nice idea though.

by benltrain

Who would want a lot of schedules besides a railfan? Sell them on the streets? Use them as paper towels?

Okay, you may want the occasional business owner who wants some for his fancy store by a big station, but otherwise, I don't think it would be a problem.

by RDG-LNE

Not that I want this thread to turn bad, but I have seen the homeless grab as many as they can from the rack by the Dilworth Plaza sales center. I have no idea what they do with them, but I have seen them grab handfuls.

Drew

by amusing erudition

When I was an undergraduate, I worked for the student newspaper and right around spring carnival time each year, whole skids of our papers were taken from racks by fraternities and sororities for papier-mache purposes.

We quickly put an end to that, though.

It would take a lot of schedules to make what they were making though....
RDG-LNE wrote:Not that I want this thread to turn bad, but I have seen the homeless grab as many as they can from the rack by the Dilworth Plaza sales center. I have no idea what they do with them, but I have seen them grab handfuls.
Fuel?

-asg

by Otto Vondrak

SubwayTim- I am so telling on you.

-otto-
  by motor

SubwayTim wrote:"Schedules are free, but they are also expensive to print. Please take no more than two at a time." I believe that is how it's worded. It is a small sign on train/bus schedule racks at Center City stations. How many people actually notice or pay attention to that sign? Does SEPTA ever enforce that "rule"? I've taken more than two many times, even as many as ten, and never been approached about it. There also have been times I would take a handful when they set up tables at Market East or 30th Street with boxes full of them when new schedules go into effect, and still, no one said anything to me.
Railfans like me are content to take just one copy *for each rail route*. And sometimes one of each bus route that serves my old stomping grounds (Chester/Wallingford/Marcus Hook/Boothwyn), and also the Media trolley. I've never been approached about it.

motor
  by Trackseventeen

SubwayTim wrote:"Schedules are free, but they are also expensive to print. Please take no more than two at a time." I believe that is how it's worded. It is a small sign on train/bus schedule racks at Center City stations. How many people actually notice or pay attention to that sign? Does SEPTA ever enforce that "rule"? I've taken more than two many times, even as many as ten, and never been approached about it. There also have been times I would take a handful when they set up tables at Market East or 30th Street with boxes full of them when new schedules go into effect, and still, no one said anything to me.
yeah, It may be expensive to print schedules... But whats even more expensive than that is to hire someone to watch over the stand to make sure people like us dont take more than two.... :wink: