• Which train was this streamlined Hudson used on?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by White Rabbit

I just found a rare, colour photograph of a streamlined NYC Hudson, of unknown date and photographer:
I've never seen this kind of streamlining before, actually, so I wonder what train it was used on. Can anyone help?

by White Rabbit

Oh, and what does it say above the red NYC nameplate?
Last edited by White Rabbit on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Ocala Mike

Looks like the Pacemaker to me, nos. 1/2 GCT to Chicago on a 16-1/2 hour schedule. The Pacemaker was the "poor man's" 20th-Century Limited; they named their fast-freight service after it.

by Ramcat

The locomotive in the photograph is one of two streamlined at West Albany for the Empire State Express.
  by Ocala Mike

So what does the red nameplate say? New York Central System? What about the scrip writing above it? Someone's name?
  by White Rabbit

Ocala Mike wrote:So what does the red nameplate say? New York Central System? What about the scrip writing above it? Someone's name?
Sorry, I mistyped my previous post. I knew the red nameplate read 'New York Central System'. I just wanted to know what the text above read.

by BaltOhio

It reads "Empire State Express." The re-equipped train (with the streamlined Hudsons and all-Budd stainless steel consist) had the misfortune of being introduced Sunday Dec. 7, 1941, and was upstaged by other events.

by izzy1975

I dont have much knowledge of the Hudsons nor there names but to me it doesnt look like it says Empire State Express. I tried clearing it up with my photo editor but couldnt get it. However it looks to me there are only 2 words instead of 3. But the main word that you can see does say "EXPRESS" It is a nice photo though! :wink:

by BaltOhio

Trust me, it does say "Empire State Express." But it's written in script, so the words run together, and in the reproduction above it's almost impossible to tell what's what. Several good b&w publicity photos exist that show the front end and lettering clearly. Later this engine was reassigned to the Chicago "Mercury" and its front end was relettered for that in the same style of script.

by izzy1975

Baltohio, thanks for that confirmation. I figured it did say that, but was unaware that it was in Script. Looking at that picture now I can see it! Thanks and good call