• Which loco offers the most comfort, easiest to operate?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by UPRR engineer

SD40's, or any older EMD with a standard control stand. Good power, do as they're told, put your feet on the heater and run all the controls with your left hand.

by Jtgshu

UPRR engineer wrote:SD40's, or any older EMD with a standard control stand. Good power, do as they're told, put your feet on the heater and run all the controls with your left hand.
Amen - now, imagine if the heater manufacturer would put little cushions on the top of the heater to keep your feet from going numb, that would be absolutely perfect!

by NV290

UPRR engineer wrote:SD40's, or any older EMD with a standard control stand. Good power, do as they're told, put your feet on the heater and run all the controls with your left hand.

Agreed. Although the desktop EMD's and GE's are nice if you like to have a place for all your stuff. I have room for my cell phone, Locoverter, snacks, magazines etc. CSX puts seat tracks in that allow you slide the seat all the way back to the rear cab wall with ease. If you have long legs, it does not get any easier to stretch out. As for ride quality, any EMD without M style trucks. SD40's and SD45's ride like Cadillacs.

As for easier to operate in general? any older EMD without the motorized reverse gear. EMD's load fast and pull great. Very little lag. No annoying 4 cycle chug and vibration.

by blippo

Best ride- ES44DC
Best Locomotive- AC60CW

by CSX Conductor

I agree that the older stuff is better in many ways. The EMD SD40-2 was always my favorite, especially since the newer engines keep getting more and more computerized leaving the engineer less control of the locomotive.

I must say that I agree about the GEVO's having room for stuff on the desktop, but I'd prefer an SD40-2 anyday. As for locos with desk-tops, I'd prefer the CW60AC's because they are so powerful, and respond very quickly.

But for now I guess I'll just have to deal with the smaller version of my favorite, the EMD GP40-2, which is all we use around here on the locals.

by GN 599

Any older EMD. The 4 axle models are a little bouncy though. I guess if you dont run on jointed rail like we do where I work is not an issue. The new GEVO's dont have that desktop control stand anymore thank god. Its the ''older'' style like an old GE or EMD. They have tall seats that adjust anyway you like. They even tilt back. Next best thing to putting your feet up on the heater on an SD40-2.

by CSX Conductor

GN 599 wrote:They have tall seats that adjust anyway you like.
The big problem with GEVO engineer seats when they are trailing units is that you hav to make sure they are locked in place because if they swivel they could hit the Automatic Brake handle and dump the train. :wink:

by GN 599

CSX Conductor wrote:
GN 599 wrote:They have tall seats that adjust anyway you like.
The big problem with GEVO engineer seats when they are trailing units is that you hav to make sure they are locked in place because if they swivel they could hit the Automatic Brake handle and dump the train. :wink:
I didnt even think about that! I cant seem to get them to lock in to place either. Maybe I am not smarter than the chair I guess...

by CSX Conductor

Maybe :P that's why CSXT SafeWay rules state that two people are required when adjusting a chair, LOL.

by CN_Hogger

CSX Conductor wrote:Maybe :P that's why CSXT SafeWay rules state that two people are required when adjusting a chair, LOL.
Wouldn't that involve waking up the conductor?! :P

by powerpro69

CN_Hogger wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:Maybe :P that's why CSXT SafeWay rules state that two people are required when adjusting a chair, LOL.
and thats just wrong, someone has to be the grade indicator :-D

by CN_Hogger

powerpro69 wrote:
CN_Hogger wrote:
and thats just wrong, someone has to be the grade indicator :-D
Exactly, and I want my conductor well rested so he can stay awake when we're at redboards!!!