• Which has better scenery: Lake Shore or Three Rivers?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by RMadisonWI

Without regards to on-board services, considering only the scenery, which route, in the opinion of the members of this forum, is better: The Lake Shore Limited or the Three Rivers? Specifically, traveling eastbound in January (which means some of the stuff at the end of the Three Rivers route won't be visible due to daylight issues).

by boyishcolt

i always enjoyed the Lake Shore Limited water level route more
but the Three Rivers is also OK, but in January the three rivers seems a little bare at times
  by Noel Weaver

In my opinion, nothing on the former PRR equals the scenery on the
Lake Shore especially between New York and Albany. The Mohawk
Valley west out of Albany up to Utica is a very pleasant trip too.
I am sure that there are some here who will disagree with me but I have
ridden both routes many times
Noel Weaver

by mlrr

That's a tough one. The Three Rivers travels over the old PRR route and the PRR in my view had many engineering marvels under its belt during its lifetime. I would say the scenery on the Three rivers is more dramatic than the Lake Shore but that's mostly on the return trip. The trip the the Allegheny Mountain range is probably the highlight of the trip. I've taken that route when Amtrak's Broadway limited was still in service. The best time to take the Three Rivers is in the fall. PA is very beautifull when the leaves start to turn.

I've also taken the LSL and found the trip between NY and Albany the best part as you travel up the Hudson River in the afternoon and watching the sun set while you cruise up the river is in deed spectacular. That lasts for about 2-3 hours I think.

I can't make up my mind between either one of them , lol.

by bratkinson

I'd have to vote for the Lakeshore Limited over the Three Rivers, based on scenery. As mentioned above, running for a couple hours along the Mohawk and then 3 hours more along the Hudson is very scenic.

That said, given that the Three Rivers is about to fade into the history books, I'd take the 3R both ways, if possible, unless you absolutely require a sleeper for the trip.

by LI Loco

When the Lake Shore departed New York in the early evening, i.e. 6:30 - 8 p.m. - you could also count on some nice daylight running near Lake Erie and over Sandusky Bay between Cleveland and Toledo.

Although the crossing of the Alleghenies via Horseshoe Curve is a treat, overall I'd give my vote to the Lake Shore route for the spendor of the ride along the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers.

by njtmnrrbuff

The Lake Shore Limited has a lot of nice scenery, especially at the bottom of its route. The Three Rivers has a lot of nice scenery, but you have to get west of Har for the most part. Of course, the only direct way via rail to Chicago in the spring would be the Lake shore.

by joshuahouse

I was on the Lakeshore this morning from South Bend to Rochester, and it should be pointed out that when running on time (which wonder of wonders it was) its dark this time of year until you reach around Batavia, same way west bound tho the sun comes up around Elkhart going west.