• Where's all the Guilford-painted power?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by SteveO

An MEC unit, I think it was 353, was switching Scotia Industrial Park out of RJ this afternoon.
  by NellsChoo

Funny, I am getting sick of the lease units... I like the G engines! :wink: We haven't been out to ED in a while, but a lot of the leasers seem to be on the eastern part of the Fitchburg. Wouldn't it me nice if they were all up in Waterville being rebuilt???

JD
  by MEC407

I think the leasers are kinda neat to see, especially considering how many different paint schemes there are. It could be worse... Pan Am might have leased a bunch of boring "black dip" units from LTEX. At least the Helm leasers are colorful.

That said, I understand where you're coming from, Jonelle. I've always had a strange affinity for the GRS paint scheme, despite the "evil" that it represents. :wink: It actually looks pretty sharp when it's clean and glossy. Which, nowadays, isn't very often.

Also: is it just me or do the newly-painted Pan Am units seem to be getting dirty almost immediately after leaving the paint shop? I remember seeing a photo of the 307 just a day or two after it was released from Waterville, and it already had a ton of grime all over it, including lots of oil and grease around the edges of the engine room access doors.

I guess that's bound to happen if you put new paint on an old locomotive that hasn't been rebuilt in decades.

Too bad they didn't lease some of these ex-Detroit Edison units now owned by Helm... would've been just like the early days of Guilford all over again.
  by NellsChoo

They must have to use gallons and gallons of degreaser before painting an engine. Think of that grime just caked on... isn't that what caused problems when they painted the Santa Fe SD26 units way back?

JD
  by MEC407

Ideally, the locos should be sandblasted first -- which would remove the grease, the grime, and the old paint. But in the case of certain "new" units they acquired, such as the SD26s, they just painted over the old paint. And we all saw how that turned out.

The same effect can be seen on the ex-B&M GP40-2s now owned by Helm, CP, and a few others: the Guilford paint is almost gone, but the B&M Blue is still hanging on for dear life.
  by guilford88panam

up here in maine i always see guilford paint still....the only pan am paint ive seen in the past couple months was 511 i think
  by guilford88panam

Heres a couple pics i took at rigby on like dec 1st i think.