• Where is Lock 10 on the Chicago Line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I shot some CSX trains while standing on the other side of the Mohawk River in Cranesville at Lock 10... was wondering what the location was called on the other side... Amsterdam? Hoffmans?

-otto-

by shlustig

LCJ,

If he was on the "other"side of the River, that would be on the West Shore, probably close to Cushing's.

Otto,

Closest station / siding reference on the West shore would have been either Cushing's or Pattersonville.

by LCJ

I think he said he was at Cranesville near Lock 10, wanting to know what the location of the CSX trains on the other side was -- which would be between Hoffmans and Amsterdam, I think...

Cranesville is on Rte 5S, along the old West Shore ROW.

by Otto Vondrak

Yup, I was on the same side of the river as Cushings, shooting across the river at the CSX Chicago Line. Thanks for the help, I'll label my slides as Amsterdam. Thanks!

-otto-

by TOMT7X

Lock 10 is indeed Cranesville.
Lock 9 is Rotterdam
Lock 11 is Amsterdam/Guy Park.

I have railfanned Cranesville. Cranesville is located where Cushing is. Not Amsterdam. Amsterdam is 8 miles west. I have railfanned on Lock 10 for so many years. This is one of my stomping grounds. Much more open, scenic and very panaramonic.

My photos are in there.

www.davesrailpage.com/gallery

Thanks!
Dave/TOMT7X

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yup, I was on the same side of the river as Cushings, shooting across the river at the CSX Chicago Line. Thanks for the help, I'll label my slides as Amsterdam. Thanks!

-otto-

by Alcochaser

I cannot remember the lock number. But at a place that tracks cross from the northside to the soutside of the canal east of Utica was a park around a lock that you could sit and watch both Boats and Trains. The lock had a frequency that boats could call and I allways plugged it into my scanner. There was even a place to sit in the car and watch!

http://www.canals.state.ny.us/maps/map5.html

by Otto Vondrak

But the trains I was shooting were on the Chicago Line- that side of the river is not Cranesville... it's either Amsterdam or Hoffmans. I was standing in Cranesville, though. No trains rolling through there since they removed the West Shore trackage to Cushing.

-otto-

by TOMT7X

Ahhh...

Now I am starting to get what you meant. You are standing on the Chicago Line, so that would be CP 173, which would be right across the river from Cranesville. This location is called "Kellogg". hence, there is a yard there for locals. They called it Kellogg Yard.

Dave
TOMT7X

Otto Vondrak wrote:But the trains I was shooting were on the Chicago Line- that side of the river is not Cranesville... it's either Amsterdam or Hoffmans. I was standing in Cranesville, though. No trains rolling through there since they removed the West Shore trackage to Cushing.

-otto-

by LCJ

You must be kidding. No one is that dense.

by Otto Vondrak

I was standing in Cranesville. The trains I was taking pictures of were across the river on the CSX Chicago Line. Can't make it any more clearer than that :-) UNLESS- are you trying to tell me that BOTH sides of the river are indeed Cranesville?

If I'm at Iona Island on the West Shore, and I use my telephoto to take a picture of a train across the river going through Little Tunnel on the Hudson Line, I'm going to label my slides, "Little Tunnel, Peekskill, NY," not "Iona Island." I only care where the train is at, not where I am at ;-)

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by O-6-O

Alcochaser: You refer to Lock 19 in Schuyler. The main crosses the canal
on original 4 track NYC bridge which can easily be worked into photos.
This is one of the best kept secrets of area railfanning. You can watch
trains and boats and the grounds are a great place to picnic if you are
so inclined. There used to be a detector just east of here,but I believe
it was removed after the merger. Traveling east on RT 5 from Utica
after crossing over the T-way look for the driveway to the lock on your
right. Its a little obscure so be on the look out.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
Last edited by O-6-O on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CP169

That was the Schuyler dragging equipment detector you're referring to. Not sure of MP(230?) I was taping out the rear window of 63 on #1 and the 48 passed us on #2 right there. I had my scanner and got both trains on video and sound. This was back in the spring of '96. It was only Hi8 but, better than nothing.
  by Noel Weaver

Otto, for what it is worth, I just pulled out a "Jimapco" map of Montgomery
County which is the correct county for the location in question.
This map shows the location on the north side of the canal as "Cranesville"
while the location on the south side shows as "Pattersonville" although that
is slightly to the east of your exact location. On a slightly larger scale, the
location to the north of the river is the Town of Amsterdam and to the
south of the canal is the Town of Florida. The words "canal and "river"
mean the same thing here.
Otto and anyone else that matter who intends to extensively railfan in the
Capital Region or the Mohawk Valley area of New York State would be well
advised to obtain the county and/or area maps from Jimapco. Their
address is 2095 Route 9, Round Lake, NY, 12151, telephone 518-899-5091. Their maps are very useful for this type of stuff and most of them
show the railroad tracks too. I have a number of their maps and they are
very hand when out exploring in the car.
One of the county maps even shows two roads that are NOT connected to
any other roads, state, county or otherwise.
Noel Weaver

by Otto Vondrak

The Jimapco Supermap of the Capital District is indespensible-- too bad its in my friend's car! Thanks for the info, Noel.

-otto-