• Where are they now? Old model railroad companies...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by toddsyr

You folks seem pretty knowledgable here. Notice my avatar is AHM. I've always wondered what the original companies were that amalgamated to become Associated Hobby Manufacturers. Haven't been able to find anything on the net. Anyone? Todd.

by Sir Ray

toddsyr wrote:You folks seem pretty knowledgable here. Notice my avatar is AHM. I've always wondered what the original companies were that amalgamated to become Associated Hobby Manufacturers. Haven't been able to find anything on the net. Anyone? Todd.
Hmmm, did you read this multipart interview with Nat Polk
http://www.aristocraft.com/articles/nat/nattca3.html (you may have already come across it - still, maybe it'll be of interest to someone else).

He rambles on and on about a wide variarty of things concerning the hobby and it's manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s; of particular interest is this (edited) snippet:
B: Another familiar hobby name is Bernie Paul. How did Bernie start?
N: Well, Bernie is an interesting person. He started after all of us. Actually, he started as a kid in the back of his mother's candy store selling model airplane stuff. ... Bernie started to distribute goods. Then, he slowly moved out into bigger and bigger places and became a distributor, and after a while started AHM, Associated Hobby Manufacturers. If you have a few minutes, I will tell how all that happened, and I'll tell you how Aristo-Craft came into being, as well as Associated Hobby Manufacturers.
Some of the manufacturers in the hobby industry decided that they were going to kill the importers and get them out of the H.I.A. association. So, they passed a ruling that anybody that exhibited in a trade show would have to pay $300 for each and every brand line they showed.
We had everything packaged over in Japan and Europe. All packaged under the Aristo-Craft trade name, and Bernie put it under Associated Hobby Manufacturers name. That's how those names came into being, because we couldn't pay $300 per line, since we each had 40 or 50 lines. So, if you pay $300 per line, you're out of business.

by jmp883

Sir Ray I thank you for the great flashback you provided with this link:

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains

I grew up in the early 70's glued to my Tyco catalog always dreaming of having the 'layouts' they had in the catalog showcasing all their trains, structures, and accessories. Every birthday and Christmas I could always count on getting something Tyco. My prize Tyco piece was the crane car/boom tender set.

I can't even count how many Tyco catalogs I wore out back then!

Thanks for the memories! :-D

by Luther Brefo

One question remains for me....

What happened to Alco Models?

Is there a catalog of their product line somewhere?

Did they ever make an RS-36?

by Sir Ray

jmp883 wrote:Sir Ray I thank you for the great flashback you provided with this link:
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains
I grew up in the early 70's glued to my Tyco catalog always dreaming of having the 'layouts' they had in the catalog showcasing all their trains, structures, and accessories. Every birthday and Christmas I could always count on getting something Tyco. My prize Tyco piece was the crane car/boom tender set.
Thanks for the memories! :-D
Heh, I forgot I even posted that link (in the first page) - of course, when I first found it, I spend a few minutes (well, lots o' minutes) looking at good ol' Tyco stuff. I remember not particularly being fond of their rolling stock (I liked Athearn much better, although both lines seemed rather dated compared to the new rolling stock that was being built in the 1970s - framless tank-cars, outside post 50' boxcars with no roofwalks, cylindrical covered hoppers, 100t hoppers - just seemed to make the rolling stock on the market look really outdated) - the operating structures, however, were really cool, regardless of their cartoonish features. I had the pipe loader/unloader, the gravel dump (which never seemed to work right - either it wouldn't fire or it would tip off the tracks), and the Boxcar unloader. All these came with small, square 'Tyco' push button (button was red, the box cover was black with chrome trim and Tyco lettering).

Reviewing the first page, I noticed my link to Nat Polk's story seem to differ a bit from CNJ999's
AHM evolved from HO Train/GHC to eventually become IHC, as far as I can tell.
Maybe Nat was getting a bit forgetful... :P
  by Tom Curtin

I believe Alco Models went defunct upon the death of the owner. That was a while ago.

I recall when they came out with the first brass diesels, I think in 1969. Modelers considered that quite a daring innovation --- up until then most brass was steam, with a few heavy electrics from importers like Model Engineering Works.

by toddsyr

Sir Ray wrote:
toddsyr wrote:You folks seem pretty knowledgable here. Notice my avatar is AHM. I've always wondered what the original companies were that amalgamated to become Associated Hobby Manufacturers. Haven't been able to find anything on the net. Anyone? Todd.
Hmmm, did you read this multipart interview with Nat Polk
http://www.aristocraft.com/articles/nat/nattca3.html (you may have already come across it - still, maybe it'll be of interest to someone else).

He rambles on and on about a wide variarty of things concerning the hobby and it's manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s; of particular interest is this (edited) snippet:
B: Another familiar hobby name is Bernie Paul. How did Bernie start?
N: Well, Bernie is an interesting person. He started after all of us. Actually, he started as a kid in the back of his mother's candy store selling model airplane stuff. ... Bernie started to distribute goods. Then, he slowly moved out into bigger and bigger places and became a distributor, and after a while started AHM, Associated Hobby Manufacturers. If you have a few minutes, I will tell how all that happened, and I'll tell you how Aristo-Craft came into being, as well as Associated Hobby Manufacturers.
Some of the manufacturers in the hobby industry decided that they were going to kill the importers and get them out of the H.I.A. association. So, they passed a ruling that anybody that exhibited in a trade show would have to pay $300 for each and every brand line they showed.
We had everything packaged over in Japan and Europe. All packaged under the Aristo-Craft trade name, and Bernie put it under Associated Hobby Manufacturers name. That's how those names came into being, because we couldn't pay $300 per line, since we each had 40 or 50 lines. So, if you pay $300 per line, you're out of business.
Thanks Ray! No, I didn't come across that yet, but will read it now. Your "snippet" has already given invaluable information and I look forward to reading the rest. Being a newer member here, I haven't read all the older posts yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks again, Todd.

by Dieter

A T T

Not to be confused with AT&T. ATT wasn't around for very long. I have an RDC-2 from them in Santa Fe which set itself apart in it's day (About 1968) with a powered bogie up front behind the cargo door, and SEATS in the interior with windows you can see through. I still have it.

ATT also made some accessories, including electrical towers. I believe they put out things in HO only. ATT was gone by 1977.

What ever happened to them???

P E M C O

They made some nice freight cars, the first to make CN box cars correctly biligually lettered (Canadian/Canadien) on opposite sides. Another company that wasn't around for long - 1978 - 1991?

by Mike@IHP

Dieter wrote:A T T

Not to be confused with AT&T. ATT wasn't around for very long. I have an RDC-2 from them in Santa Fe which set itself apart in it's day (About 1968) with a powered bogie up front behind the cargo door, and SEATS in the interior with windows you can see through. I still have it.

ATT also made some accessories, including electrical towers. I believe they put out things in HO only. ATT was gone by 1977.

What ever happened to them???

P E M C O

They made some nice freight cars, the first to make CN box cars correctly biligually lettered (Canadian/Canadien) on opposite sides. Another company that wasn't around for long - 1978 - 1991?
NOt sure when PEMCO went under, but IHC now has their tooling and has marketed the Mogul, GG1 and SD35 models since then, with improvements and new mechanisms. IHC also has some of the old Tyco tooling for items such as the Consolidation 2-8-0 and the 4-wheel trolley (not to be confused with the AHM Birney they already produce). I wish they'd reissue that trolley at some point!

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

by Dieter

Though going strong in business today, what is BACHMANN doing with the dies to these discontinued models;

HO Gauge Amtrak Metroliner

N Gauge Penn Central Metroliner

N Gauge Avro Turboliner in CN/PC/AMTK.

???

by Otto Vondrak

There was a Candian company that was going to release the UA Turbo in HO in both VIA and CN configurations... I cant remember the name right now. They were one of our early advertisers, too.

-otto-

by vector_one75

As for the UA Turbo, there have been a number of HO models attempted and I did buy a kit from "Novatech" in Canada some years ago, but I felt it was virtually a chunk of solid resin. It was supposed to be redone in "thin-wall" to actually have open windows (the original I had bougt instructions suggested that since the prototype was heavily tinted, just paint the windows black), but my inqueries on the "new" version never got answered and I doubt it was ever produced. Another company in Canada came along to pick it up, but again I thgink they found the original molds unsuitable. The only credible UA Turbo HO model which is still in production and is planned in later 2006 by Rapido Trains in Canada(http://www.rapidotrains.com) which originally was to do it also with resin kit locally in Canada but from scratch (totally new mastes and molds), but last year found that it was more cost effective to produce it in China as an injection plastic ready-to-run model with varied intermediate cars as per prototype application in the USA and Canada. Having purchased some of Rapodo Trains' resin kit LRC coaches and anticipating their LRC locomotive, I have great confidence in that Rapido Trains will do good justice for the Turbo as well. So see their website for all their offerings, including a series or RTR lightweight cars for the "Super Continental", which models also are appropriate for operation in some USA roads as well. So yes, there's hope at the end of the tunnel for a good HO scale UA Turbo!

The metroliner, original and modified with pods are definitely a "why isn't Bachmann..." question. For the modified Metroliner -into-push/pull-cab-car version, I believe Impeial Hobby Productions in Philadelphia has or will have this as a resin model, as well a a number of Amtrak and commuter models.

Now as to what ever happened to..?

a) GK Models which for many years had shown in Walthers Catalogs for Amfleet cars of freelance configurations (AmRoomette, AmObservation, etc?). I think that Walthers took this line over but kept it to only the cars that were prototypical. But were the freelance Amfleet cars ever actually produced? A freeance layout for a "what-if" Amtrak service might be of interest to some modelers, does anyone have any of these, I'd be interested in them!

b) As for slot cars, most I believe were of "racing" toy games, but there is a company called "Minic Motorways" in the UK where entire street systems with cars, trucks, and buses in 00 (76:1 scale, pretty close to HO) are available, similarly like the Faller car system (true HO) is except that the Faller system gas a buried wire to follow the steering by magnetic action where Minic has slots in the road. In either case, you can animate your road or even provide a timetable bus service feeder connection to your train service.

C) When I was a school kid, my first train model was a Globe HO dummy unpainted diesel. I thought that Varney had eventuallly took over Globe.

d) Mention was made in other posts about Gilbert. It seems that Gilbert kept re-entering the HO market even recently as a year or two ago, but always seemed to fade, and get back again. I saw a website for it last time then.

e) Another frequent HO re-arrival has been Lionel. The first video camera for front onto track view in HO was Lionel's "Rail-Scope", and one of their most recent offerings was the UP Turbine, whose litigations by UP may have finally done in Lionel.

f) Another company was Cox, I have an intermodal crane, which appearance wise could be a dead ringer for an IHC crane?

There are others: Rail Chief (like the Kasiner kits, so were they in that same product line?), Samson (similar but with another material, not aluminum, which from what I've heard would crumble over time?), Blue Line, and others that I have to finish writing right now, but will try to recall which no one might have yet spoken of.

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia
  by Tom Curtin

I thought that Varney had eventuallly took over Globe.
Athearn took over Globe, didn't they? So I thought.
It seems that Gilbert kept re-entering the HO market even recently as a year or two ago, but always seemed to fade, and get back again. I saw a website for it last time then.
I thought Gilbert has been defunct for many years. I guess the "American Flyer" (S gauge tinplate) brand still exists, but not manufactured by Gilbert.
Another frequent HO re-arrival has been Lionel.
That's news to me, but I don't follow the subject much to speak of so I don't question the truth of it. Going back to my salad days in modeling, I remember when "Lionel HO" first appeared, 1958, it was simply Athearn products repackaged.
  by Aa3rt

Tom Curtin wrote:Going back to my salad days in modeling, I remember when "Lionel HO" first appeared, 1958, it was simply Athearn products repackaged.
Actually, I believe that Lionel's initial HO gauge offerings were made by Rivarossi in the late 1950's with the line graduating to Athearn products later.

Does anyone besides me remember "HObbyline"? They offered a line of HO scale plastic kits-I had an 0-4-0T, boxcar and caboose that they offered in the late 1950's/early 1960's and I recall admiring a Nickel Plate Berkshire that they also offered which was too expensive (and complicated) for my youthful budget and modelling skills.

From the same era, I also recall seeing the line of Airfix plastic kits for static models being advertised in Model Railroader for years, with the four-wheel rolling stock kits starting at 99 cents. I know Airfix became Dapol, where are they now?

Aside from the Monogram NYC Hudson and UP Big Boy kits released approximately 20 years ago (and recently re-released by Revell), static models of railroad items do not seem to be too popular in this country. There seem to have been many offerings over the years, but all seem to have been rather short-lived.
Last edited by Aa3rt on Wed May 17, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by pennsy

Hi Art,

You struck a familiar note on your reference to Lionel HO gauge.

Do you know the pedigree of this one ? I have a real, live HO gauge, Lionel whistling tender in my stable of engines. Works in a weird way, and needs breaks in the track, HO gauge, to activate a motor that drives a fan that blows air through the whistle. It is not controllable, and works only on track breaks. Good looking tender, however.