• Where are electro-pneumatic brakes in service?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by travelrobb

Quick question for anyone who can answer it: what railroads, subways, light rail systems, etc., use electro-pneumatic (EP) brakes? I'm especially interested to know on what railroads outside the U.S. will you find them. I understand that some passenger trains in the UK and some ICE trains in Germany have them--what other services have them? Are they common on metro trains?

I'm not referring to the ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED PNEUMATIC (ECP) brake systems developed by WABTEC and NYAB that are being tested on NS and BNSF and have been deployed in South Africa, Australia, and Canada. I understand that some people distinguish between EP and ECP systems--I'm interested in finding out about the older EP systems.

If you'd like to reach me off-line, feel free to send me a note at [email protected].

Thanks,
Robb
(Posted first on the operations board, but probably belongs here...)
  by amtrakhogger

There are quite a few passenger US railroads that use EP brakes. NJ Transit uses EP on virtually all its equipment (Arrow 3 MU, all Comet series coaches, and all road locos (electric and diesel.) Septa use EP on its Silverliner 4 MU's and Long Island RR and Metro North use EP brakes for all their MU cars. Amtrak uses EP on its Acela HST trainsets and Auto-Train as well.