• When was William Vanderbilt II president of NYC?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jlechner

Hello,

Does someone know the dates during which Willie K Vanderbilt II was president of the New York Central?

thanks,

Joseph Lechner

by Dieter

I know now why you asked this question.

From what I can find on William K. Vanderbilt, it appears that he began his time with the New York Central in 1905, but I get the idea it was a lacklustre event in his life, and likely, underlings did all the work during whatever his tenure with the corporation was.

One would get the impression he was too busy playing with motor cars and raising horses to be bothered with the railroad. Was this another spoiled child of privilige, collecting a cheque for just showing up occasionally?

D/
  by jlechner

thanks for the 1905 date. Yes, WKV II was preoccupied with auto racing. For those who follow auto racing, the Vanderbilt Cup was reinstated in 1996 and is decorated with a relief of Willie and his Mercedes.

Joseph Lechner