• When can I find action in Greenland, NH?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by l008com

So every wednesday night i go to Rye nh and cross two different lines in greenalnd NH, one on rt 33 and one on ocean rd. I've never seen a bit of action on either of these lines, but its is clear that trains go by both of them often (you can see it in the sand & snowbanks). So when do the trains go through there? Do I have any chance of seeing anything?

by NHN503

The Portsmouth switcher runs through about every other day or so to serve Portsmouth, and then on as needed for Hampton.

by Jonny Bolt

The tracks you cross on Rte. 33 is the Portsmouth Branch line off the mainline. Then the line you cross on ocean rd. is the Hampton branch. There is really no set schedule for the Hampton line, as Foss Manufacturing in Hampton is the only customer left that is served. But I have seen action on the Portsmouth Branch. I have been fishing the Piscataqua River near Schiller Station and seen Gillfid locos working the line.

by truman

The Portsmouth switcher runs into Portsmouth from Rockingham during the day, so you're out of luck there. (rte 33) Foss Mfg in Hampton gets served on a "when we get around to it" basis, which lately translates into late afternoon - evening trips to and from Hampton. (Ocean Rd.) Since Portsmouth has this thing about idling engines, once the crew returns from Hampton, they take the power over to the trailer at Rockingham and tie up for the day.
If you're on rte. 33 and see anything, you probably have time to run to the old station and catch it. (turn right at McDonalds, go about 1/4 mile, the station is right in front of you) Don't stop on rte. 33 its a safety hazard.
Same with Ocean Rd, which is pretty busy too, if you see a headlight, make sure its not a dirt bike or snowmobile, go down Banfield rd, turn onto Heritage Rd, park on the side and walk over to the crossing and wait.