• What yards are left in Erie and are there any locals left?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Guest

Craig,

All that's left these days is the "East" yard (ex NYC) and two small satellite yards (3-4 tracks), OD and East Lake (both ex PRR).

All three are controlled by the CSX "Erie Yard" yardmaster, located at the East Yard office on Downing Road.

Last I knew there were two regularly assigned yard crews, along with a small extra board.

Former yards were West (ex NYC), and Dock Junction, Riblet, Warfel and West Lake (ex PRR).

NS (ex NKP/N&W) at one time had a small yard at Downing Road in Wesleyville, but there's not much left these days other than a couple of tracks used to interchange with CSX. Switching is handled by a NS local originating at Conneaut (OH).

Hope this helps.

Ron S.

by MetalCowboy

Ron,
I know where the east yard is, and I know one of the satellites is along the bayfront highway, but where is the other. Also, where are locations of the former yards? (West (ex NYC), and Dock Junction, Riblet, Warfel and West Lake (ex PRR).)
As an Erie resident who was not alive when these yards were in service (Born in 84) and of the "new generation" of railfans, I am interested in the history as well.
Thanks,
MC

by Guest

Ron:

Times sure have changed. I remember as a boy when the PRR leased BAR GP7 units and they switched the old Rubber Works near the then new shopping plaza on the westside. I also remember the west yard NYC and the line that went down toward the docks. Also the BE ditchdigging works that was so busy.

Erie in the 1950s was a very busy place. Darn shame. We had: NYC-PRR-NP-B&LE-East Com.

Craig[/b]

by Guest

MC…

The other satellite yard (OD – which is the old PRR telegraph call for “Outer Depot”) is located just south of the mainline, between East Avenue and Ash Streets. Its primary use is for the Buffalo & Pittsburgh (former Allegheny & Eastern) Railroad interchange. Also used to service the Liberty Iron & Metal scrap yard and World Resource Recovery Systems (recycling firm).

Dock Junction yard was located where the large open area now exists under I-79, just to the south of the West 12th Street interchange. There’s still one track there, which comes off the CSX mainline at CP 89 and serves a plastic company located on West 16th street (I believe that’s the correct street).

The former NYC West yard was located just south of the mainline and to the west of Union Depot. There still may be a couple of tracks there…if so, their now cut off from the CSX trackage due to the Norfolk Southern line relocation.

Riblet and Warfel Yards were located to the south of the Buffalo Road bridge, and were split (intersected) by East 26th Street. Warfel Yard being the northerly of the two. In other words, the land that now hosts the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR’s “Mayer Brothers siding” would have been the Riblet Yard.

West Lake yard has been completely obliterated… it was located where the westerly section bayfront highway now runs (west of GAF Materials). It included the docks which now serve the marina and the condominium complexes.

Hope this helps.

Ron S.

by Ron S.

Craig,

You can say that again ("times sure have changed").

I forgot to mention another small yard that still still exists (partially)...the former B&LE trackage next to Erie Forge & Steel on Greengarden Boulevard.

Norfolk Southern now serves this trackage, although it is actually owned by "West Erie Short Line, Incorporated", a consortium of businesses that purchased the former Bessemer trackage from the Norfolk Southern connection down to and including the tracks at West 12th Street. While there may be others, I believe that Erie Forge & Steel, along with Erie Press Systems are the majority owners (of WESL).

Ron S.

by MetalCowboy

thanks Ron, that helps alot. living along the CSX and NS mains all my live (near peninsula drive and now near the airport) I have spent much of my life exploring the old yards on the west side of town and not even knowing it. All of your streets are correct.
thanks again,
MC

by Guest

Ron:

Facing the former NYC main from the old Sealtest plant is NS trackage on the lake side or is it on what was the old PRR passenger track which was #6? Hope I haven't confused you.

Craig

by Ron S.

Craig,

I had to read your question a couple of times before I finally figured out exactly where it was you were referring to (not remembering the Sealtest plant itself).

But yes, the NS trackage now runs on a portion of the old PRR passenger track alignment.

At Union Station, the tracks - north to south - were originally

#3 ex NYC (now the North Control Siding)
#1 ex NYC
#2 ex NYC
#4 ex NYC (now the "42 Runner")

and then...

possibly another NYC owned track? OR several PRR owned tracks (how many I'm not sure).

Do you have an exact count? You make reference to PRR Track #6. I know there were at least two platforms that served the Pennsy.

Ron S.

by Guest

Ron:

Actually Track 5 was the designated passenger track for the Pennsy. When I would go to visit my Grandparents in Lock Haven it was that track that was announced.

I loved taking old #580 and coming back on #581. First two times I left Erie the power was a K4s. Then I recall two Alco RS3s.

The consist always had several coaches...cafe car and as as many as four to five sleepers.

#580-581 were separate trains to and from old Broad St. Station in Philadelphia until 1953 when they were combined with #574-575 the trains from and to Buffalo.

Then I heard the conductor say we would combine with #574 at Emporium. That train on Easter Sunday night 1956 had 32 cars total. We had to stop twice at Renovo and Lock Haven where I got off.

The old PRR always did it big time. So did the NYC.

Best,
Craig

by Conrail Cleveland East

The NS yard at Downing Ave was called Dean Yard.Years ago,the yard
had a trailer ramp,office, and geep for local service.
The former B&LE bldg at Greengarden Ave is owned by TWL corp,which
ownes Dodsworth Trucking and Lake Erie Warehouse.
Riblet yard,as told to me by a deceased PRR employee,had the nickname
"Bush" yard.I asked him why the name Bush,and he said, "because of the
brush and vegetation there".
At one time,Erie,Pa.,had it all-elevated watchmen shantys,street running,
roundhouse,towers,a semaphore,crew change point,crossing diamond,
geeps,and much more.
Also,the CSX yardmaster at Erie controls Dunkirk,NY yard.
  by nick plate

Erie was a great place to railfan in the 50's and 60's. There was all that activity on the east dock area, lots of passenger trains, and Nickel Plate steam until 1958. Do any of you remember a little building ,on the Pennsy, just east of the Broad Street bridge , not much bigger then a shed? I think it was called Lang Tower, but not positive. I can recall 580 going by there, and a railroad employee coming out and "Flagging " him past. This would have been close to Riblet yard. Also, on old Pennsy maps, they show a place called Shannon. No doubt, by Kanty Prep and Shannon Road . Was this a station or yard once ? The new bike trail is, and will be when complete, a good ,safe location for observing the R&S .
  by nick plate

When I think of it, I believe that small "tower" was called Eye. I think Lang was further South of the city.

by Ron S.

Hi Mike...

"EYE" tower was out at Corry...I believe your referring to "ELM" tower (named for a local street).

"LANG" was the east end of the double track...it was located out between MP's 9 and 10 (between Langdon and Robinson Roads).

Ron S.
  by nick plate

Hi Ron,
That would be it, Elm Tower ! I remember Eye, in Corry,now. Also, Lang. Hard to believe they had double track on part of the line, but I kind of remember it . I have a [not very good ] black and white picture I took of 581, probably about where Lang was. Thanks for the correct name, Ron. I'm afraid my memory is starting to go !
Mike