• What will Trump mean for Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by bostontrainguy

deathtopumpkins wrote: The New London bypass is getting a lot of opposition because it is genuinely terrible, and deserves that opposition. It, like almost everything that's come out of NEC Future, is a bad idea, and would be a mistake.
Come on. The NEC needs to be upgraded and this is a plan to do that. The bypass is the only way to avoid the restrictive lift bridges and curvy coastline. No, it shouldn't go through downtown Old Lyme, but it has to go somewhere. At least the New London to Kenyon part should be built and that runs mostly along Route 95. They are claiming a 2 hr 45 minute NYP - BOS schedule. That's been promised for 50 years! I was lucky enough to participate in the CONEG high-speed rail tests in 1988! I am getting too old now to wait for modern high-speed rail on the NEC. All I am saying is, Trump is a guy who will say "get it done". I want to see something done. No plan is going to be perfect or satisfy everyone. This plan is better than what we have now and better than doing nothing. I want to see some progress, that's all.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CarterB

AMEN to wanting to see progress for a change!!!
  by Suburban Station

Wasn't the i95 alignment originally intended to solve the shoreline mess before being sold to the state for a one time dividend?
  by Noel Weaver

I think the best way to do genuine high speed rail between New York and Boston is to by-pass Connecticut altogether. it can be done although the cost would be huge. Utilize the Long Island Rail Road ROW mainline from New York to Greenport or rather Orient Point. Tunnel under Long Island Sound to about Westerly, R.I. area and from there to Boston you already have a decent railroad with no drawbridges and probably a lot less NIMBY problems as well. Keep the present route to serve Connecticut but run all premium services over a new route. The cost would be extreme but probably no more than a new ROW through Westchester and Connecticut and you get rid of the major capacity problems between New York and New Haven as well as the drawbridges all along that route. If this was Switzerland it would have been done by now but this is not Switzerland. You would need two brand new tracks to be used only for the new trains between New York and Boston. Existing tunnels under the East River and maybe existing ROW through Queens but new elevated ROW or maybe a combination of elevated and tunnel sections through western Long Island. East of Ronkonkoma there probably would not be any ROW problems except for grade crossings. No intermediate stops for the most part although maybe one stop somewhere around Riverhead to serve Long Island. Talk about putting people to work, this would definitely do it. Outlandish, maybe, but I don't see much hope for getting through the State of Connecticut where NIMBYs and boaters rule over common sense and the good for all. New York - Boston in two and a half hours could probably be done going this way provided you don't have major speed restrictions through any areas. As I said the cost would be in the billions plus but it will probably not be any cheaper through Westchester and Connecticut. Oh well, I can dream can't I.
Noel Weaver
  by jstolberg

The top 50 infrastructure covers the $12 billion for Newark to NYP and $8.7 billion for WUS on the NEC. CUS is another $1 billion. So Amtrak's share is $21.7 billion of the first $137.5 billion to be allocated (15.7%). A good portion of that is likely to be non-grant considerations such as expedited permitting, loans and interest rate credits.

There are likely to be a second tier of projects (generally under $250 million) plus whatever Congress piles on. New York, New Jersey and Maryland already have significant projects on the list, so I'm not expecting considerably more for those states. Connecticut could get some in the final bill, but not enough to dig tunnels.
  by David Benton

Isn't the list based on what states have asked for , rather than what Trump plans to implement?. I would be surprised if he lets the solar and wind ones go through, for example.
  by Gilbert B Norman

This entire discussion could be moot sooner than later:

http://www.inverse.com/article/26292-do ... hment-odds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use
On January 30, Trump’s odds of leaving office before his first term are 11/10
"We report. You decide"
  by ebtmikado

Suburban Station wrote:Wasn't the i95 alignment originally intended to solve the shoreline mess before being sold to the state for a one time dividend?
I doubt that the current I-95 R.O.W. could have ever been planned for a railroad line. The sharpness of the curves and steepness of grades in the Old Lyme-Waterford area
would be of little improvement over the current route.

Lee
  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:This entire discussion could be moot sooner than later:

http://www.inverse.com/article/26292-do ... hment-odds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use
"We report. You decide"
"A UK betting house says current odds are 11/10 that he'll be impeached or resign before the end of his first term."

He will never quit. Not in his nature. Impeachment would hinge on him probably doing something illegal or immoral. He has no lack of attorneys to properly advise him and he is probably more moral than most politicians (e.g., Bill Clinton). I thought Amtrak Joe was the answer. How more pro Amtrak can you get? I thought, here we go . . . now the NEC is getting major improvements. Yet, not much happened during the last 8 years in that regard. Don't know how much Joe influenced the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects which resulted in some improvements to some lesser things like the Vermonter. Now I am happy to see that happen, but that was ONE relatively small train. Maybe extending it to Montreal at the same time would have really been a major improvement and effected lots more people and gotten a lot more press.

To see rail improve under a Republican Presidency is kind of an oxymoron. But Trump isn't a normal Republican President.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jehochman

Noel Weaver wrote:I think the best way to do genuine high speed rail between New York and Boston is to by-pass Connecticut altogether. it can be done although the cost would be huge. Utilize the Long Island Rail Road ROW mainline from New York to Greenport or rather Orient Point. Tunnel under Long Island Sound to about Westerly, R.I. area and from there to Boston you already have a decent railroad with no drawbridges and probably a lot less NIMBY problems as well. Keep the present route to serve Connecticut but run all premium services over a new route. The cost would be extreme but probably no more than a new ROW through Westchester and Connecticut and you get rid of the major capacity problems between New York and New Haven as well as the drawbridges all along that route. If this was Switzerland it would have been done by now but this is not Switzerland. You would need two brand new tracks to be used only for the new trains between New York and Boston. Existing tunnels under the East River and maybe existing ROW through Queens but new elevated ROW or maybe a combination of elevated and tunnel sections through western Long Island. East of Ronkonkoma there probably would not be any ROW problems except for grade crossings. No intermediate stops for the most part although maybe one stop somewhere around Riverhead to serve Long Island. Talk about putting people to work, this would definitely do it. Outlandish, maybe, but I don't see much hope for getting through the State of Connecticut where NIMBYs and boaters rule over common sense and the good for all. New York - Boston in two and a half hours could probably be done going this way provided you don't have major speed restrictions through any areas. As I said the cost would be in the billions plus but it will probably not be any cheaper through Westchester and Connecticut. Oh well, I can dream can't I.
Noel Weaver
This solution isn't cost effective. For that many billions of dollars you can do a lot more good with projects all over the country. Long Island Sound is 100+ feet deep off Orient point, and from there it's 20+ miles to Watch Hill (through granite). Compare to the much shorter Gateway tunnels where the Hudson is only ~30 feet deep and the tunnel is not nearly so long (through soft mud).

Trains from Boston to New York already fill up with high demand. People are not suffering because of the slow speeds. The biggest problem is lack of capacity and reliability due to the draw bridges.

To get more capacity between New York and Boston, it is very simple: restore the inland route. From New Haven to Springfield it's already capable of higher speeds than the coastal route. Some marginal improvements between Springfield and Boston would make it time competitive with the coastal route, and open up service to a bunch of new city pairs. Go nuts, spend two billion on improvements to get speeds even higher, and you're only spending 10% or less than what a Cross-Sound tunnel would be. While you are at it, replace the old draw bridges with reliable new ones with higher clearances so they don't need to open as often. Want to spend more? Create a new alignment from Hartford to Worcester along I-84. That area is not densely populated and would not have nearly the resistance that you will get trying to carve through old money, politically connected Old Lyme, Mystic and Stonington.
  by OrangeGrove

Gilbert B Norman wrote:This entire discussion could be moot sooner than later:

Fair Use
"We report. You decide"
A betting odds website is not exactly a reliable (or valid) source. President Trump seems to be keeping his campaign promises, which is likely a positive development for passenger rail (infrastructure).
  by andrewjw

Jehochman wrote:To get more capacity between New York and Boston, it is very simple: restore the inland route. From New Haven to Springfield it's already capable of higher speeds than the coastal route. Some marginal improvements between Springfield and Boston would make it time competitive with the coastal route, and open up service to a bunch of new city pairs. Go nuts, spend two billion on improvements to get speeds even higher, and you're only spending 10% or less than what a Cross-Sound tunnel would be. While you are at it, replace the old draw bridges with reliable new ones with higher clearances so they don't need to open as often. Want to spend more? Create a new alignment from Hartford to Worcester along I-84. That area is not densely populated and would not have nearly the resistance that you will get trying to carve through old money, politically connected Old Lyme, Mystic and Stonington.
Has there been any discussion of a line from Hartford to Providence? It seems like that would be a more natural connection, since the Providence-to-Boston line allows higher speeds than the Worcester-to-Boston line.
  by Jehochman

andrewjw wrote:
Jehochman wrote:To get more capacity between New York and Boston, it is very simple: restore the inland route. From New Haven to Springfield it's already capable of higher speeds than the coastal route. Some marginal improvements between Springfield and Boston would make it time competitive with the coastal route, and open up service to a bunch of new city pairs. Go nuts, spend two billion on improvements to get speeds even higher, and you're only spending 10% or less than what a Cross-Sound tunnel would be. While you are at it, replace the old draw bridges with reliable new ones with higher clearances so they don't need to open as often. Want to spend more? Create a new alignment from Hartford to Worcester along I-84. That area is not densely populated and would not have nearly the resistance that you will get trying to carve through old money, politically connected Old Lyme, Mystic and Stonington.
Has there been any discussion of a line from Hartford to Providence? It seems like that would be a more natural connection, since the Providence-to-Boston line allows higher speeds than the Worcester-to-Boston line.
I haven't heard anything about this idea yet. Back in the 80s there was a plan to extend I-84 to Providence. A few short sections were built but then the project was scuttled because it would have impacted the water supply to Providence. In terms of geography there are hills in Eastern CT, and they go all the way to the shore. You have to get through them no matter which way you go. In New England it's easy to travel north-south, but east-west is always tough. It's just one ridge after another.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I would prefer seeing Trump appointing members of the Amtrak board who are in favor of IPO/privatization (something the GOP would support). After all, isn't it fitting for "America's Railroad" to have an IPO?
  by Backshophoss

The only way to get more service to Boston is to get the"Inland route" back online,Hopefully President Trump can
find a way to convince CSX allow more passenger service between Springfield and Worcester or sell that trackage
to Amtrak,retaining the freight rights to Worcester.

Moving some of the Regional Service trains to the"Inland Route" would free up slots for Acela service.

As with all in coming presidential administrations,there's been plenty of "missteps" made.