• What's the story with Trolleyville USA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Otto Vondrak

So I do a search for Trolleyville USA, and I find their abandoned web site from 2004. I also found the web site for the new Lake Shore Electric Railway in downtown Cleveland. Was Trolleyville an operating museum? Is there operable trackage at the new location? What made them move to downtown?

-otto-
  by shlustig

Otto:

The Trolleyville collection had to be relocated when the Olmsted Township property was sold and the new owners ordered the collection to be removed.

The collection went to two sites: the operable part to the former Shaker Hts. trackage at Tower City for storage; the rest to dock 32 on the Lakefront where it is inside one of the buildings. As part of the NYCSHS RTA tour after Sunday Brunch at the Berea Stn. Restaurant, we visited dock 32 during a layover on the Waterfront Line. The Historic Bus group shuttled us between the RTA and Dock 32.

Lakeshore Electric has plans for expansion that include a yard and shop building to be constructed on former NYC property which lies just east of the present end of the Waterfront Line.

AFAIK, all of the trolleys were saved. However, I am unaware of the fat of the station structure which was the former B&O Berea Stn.
  by Northwest727

I don't understand why Tolleyville was evicted. Everytime I drive past the place the empty building and lot just sit. Sounds like some sort of politics went on, maybe Trolleyville and the then-new owners didn't get along.
  by Txtrolleynut

I'm sure that everyone knows by now that the Lake Shore Electric railway, the group that relocated the Brookins collection to a Cleveland city owned warehouse on the Lake Erie waterfront has failed and the collection will be broken up and sold. The Pittsburgh conventional car (I forget the number) is already gone and is now at the Pennslyvania museum in Arden, PA. Latest information is that the remainder will be auctioned off starting on October 6, 2009 -- that's two weeks away. The IRM is interested in the Chicago area cars, and the Fox River group is interested in one of the AE&FR cars. The rest, who knows? The LSERy group lease expires the end of October and wants the collection out, and the fate of unsold items is in doubt. It is a sad end to a once-vital and well done and beautifully maintained operation.
  by Conrail Cleveland East

Wasn't there a group the saved 3 trollyeys near Cleveland? I heard something of that nature at a train show..