• What's out there?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by b&m 1566

How many engines does Guilford have (currently)? I know it may fluctuate from time to time with engines coming and going? Guilford seems to never have enough engines to move there freight so how many could Guilford use? Or is it one of those things where you can never have enough motive power?

by MEC407

They currently have approximately 85 active locomotives, +/- 1 or 2. You can expect anywhere from 10 to 20+ of those to be out of service on any given day, either for repairs or routine maintenance.

by b&m 1566

85 THAT'S IT? I thought for sure they had at least 100. I take that number also includes switchers and such? How many engine where there when they took control of the B&M, MEC and D&H? Or how many engines did each company have when Guilford took over?

by MEC407

I miscounted -- the number may be as high as 95 or 96. But still in the same general ballpark. And there aren't any switchers -- they're all gone.

Here's a basic rundown:

1 GP7
7 GP9s
14 GP35s
53 GP40s
19 GP40-2Ws
2 SD26s
possibly 1 SD45
possibly 1 SD39

by MEC407

As far as pre-Guilford is concerned, I would guess that the Maine Central had close to 100, and B&M must have had at least that many if not more.

by Robert Paniagua

I like the GP40s the best, especially the ones owned by the B & M previously (300 series). I wonder if ther's a disposition list of all past and present Guilford Locomotives floating around.

by MEC407

The "original B&M" GP40-2s all ended up at Helm Leasing. Some of them were sold to Canadian Pacific, and more recently, some were sold to Ontario Northland.

Guilford's current fleet of GP40s (non-Dash 2) are all ex-Conrail, except for the 370-series, which are ex-NS, and 381, which is ex-CSX.

by MEC407

Two of Maine Central's GP38s actually ended up on Union Pacific, where they were rebuilt to Dash 2 specs.

I'm not sure what became of B&M's GP38-2s.

by doublebell

The B&M GP38-2 went to Kansas City Southern.

John (the guy in the white car)

by MEC407

Thanks John! I think I remember hearing that somewhere, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

by NellsChoo

Are the GP7 and 9s the only ex-B&M engines left on the roster?

by MEC407

The GP7 is ex-MEC. The GP9s are ex-B&M. They are the only B&M units left. (And the GP7 is the only MEC unit left.)

by mick

B&M
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by MEC407

252 reportedly has been scrapped.