• What's going on in Lynn?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AutisticPsycho

Is there some sort of track or tie replacement going to be done?

I noticed these when I pulled into the parking garage yesterday to go to my class at NSCC.

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 018ga0.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 030yw5.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 037dl5.jpg

Also, was the escalator at Central Square ever active at one point?

http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 044gc4.jpg
http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 046ou1.jpg
http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 047js6.jpg

For those of you who didn't that, and I didn't apparently until yesterday... there's an unused escalator hidden behind a false wall right next to the stairs and directly in front of the platform elevator.

I did have hunch there might of been because of the fact some of the concrete on the platform had an escalator shaped curve to it... I guess I was right!
  by StefanW

AutisticPsycho wrote:Is there some sort of track or tie replacement going to be done?
Yes, definitely there is going to be some track work done in Lynn! There's been a speed restriction sign on both inbound and outbound tracks for as long as I can remember.... perhaps years.
On each track, in both directions, there's a yellow diamond S followed by a green square R... Here's an example of each:

The issue is the concrete sleepers which are spalling and deteriorating. It looks like the rails are not in proper alignment. Recently there was a MoW crew I saw just outside of the station platform, who I now assume was prepping the area for the new track.

Check out item #17 on http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/public_meetings/?id=15685
Authorization for the execution of an Extra Work Project Initiation Agreement with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Company (MBCR), for the removal and replacement of the slope stabilization and direct fixated track systems at the Lynn Commuter Rail Station on the Eastern Route Main Line, for an amount not to exceed $997,400.
Since it's at a station, where a passenger express or freight would normally slow down, I have to assume that the condition has gone downhill enough to be a safety issue even with reduced speed.

Since I'm a daily rider Lynn to Boston, I'll try and take pictures as much as possible.

-- Stefan
  by StefanW

StefanW wrote:The issue is the concrete sleepers which are spalling and deteriorating.
I found another comment on this on Google Groups...
When Lynn station was modernized they used a subway style concrete
rail bed. This has failed and cracked and is in need of replacement.
The outbound track is better than the inbound. The speed in the
station on the inbound side is 10 mph because of this.
  by AutisticPsycho

StefanW wrote:
AutisticPsycho wrote:Is there some sort of track or tie replacement going to be done?
Yes, definitely there is going to be some track work done in Lynn! There's been a speed restriction sign on both inbound and outbound tracks for as long as I can remember.... perhaps years.
On each track, in both directions, there's a yellow diamond S followed by a green square R... Here's an example of each:

The issue is the concrete sleepers which are spalling and deteriorating. It looks like the rails are not in proper alignment. Recently there was a MoW crew I saw just outside of the station platform, who I now assume was prepping the area for the new track.

Check out item #17 on http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/public_meetings/?id=15685
Authorization for the execution of an Extra Work Project Initiation Agreement with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Company (MBCR), for the removal and replacement of the slope stabilization and direct fixated track systems at the Lynn Commuter Rail Station on the Eastern Route Main Line, for an amount not to exceed $997,400.
Since it's at a station, where a passenger express or freight would normally slow down, I have to assume that the condition has gone downhill enough to be a safety issue even with reduced speed.

Since I'm a daily rider Lynn to Boston, I'll try and take pictures as much as possible.

-- Stefan
Yeah, I noticed the signs, didn't know what they meant. Now I know! And yes, I do notice how much the concrete is cracking on the inbound side, lots of small chunks and exposed concrete.

So... does that mean they're going to do away with the concrete trackbed and just use ballast?
  by StefanW

AutisticPsycho wrote:So... does that mean they're going to do away with the concrete trackbed and just use ballast?
Yup, I'm betting it will be ballasted on top of the concrete bridge deck. I don't know how different the weight of gravel ballast is compared to concrete sleepers, but I bet those 1910-era bridges can handle it. (They probably ballasted back then anyway.)

If it is ballast on the trackbed then I bet there will be some steelwork that binds the platform structure to the track... otherwise the track might have the possibility of shifting and putting the cars into the platform edge....

Somebody tell me I'm wrong about that!! Can track on top of ballast on top of concrete be laterally stable???
  by jbvb

The bridges around Lynn station were ballasted deck in the '60s, so I assume they were built that way. Ties in ballast (particularly rock) have enough lateral stability that no special precautions are taken to hold them in place, just "line and tamp".
  by StefanW

Cool - thanks jbvb.

Something else I just realized... That project description (#17 on the board meeting agenda) also says:
removal and replacement of the slope stabilization
I think that's referring to the concrete structure on the north side of the ROW that looks almost like it could have been an incline heading down to the corner of Market Street and Munroe Street. (If so, that was a long time ago... probably just after they elevated the line in the late 1800s) You can see it from Google running from the Washington Street bridge down to just after the station platform inbound end. It's the big strip of concrete just to the right side / North side of the inbound track.
(There's a similar old incline about 1000 yards further inbound, also on the north side of the ROW, that runs down from the trackbed to Commercial Street.)

Since the job is costing as much as $997,400 it had better be more than just track replacement!!! :wink:
  by AutisticPsycho

StefanW wrote:Cool - thanks jbvb.

Something else I just realized... That project description (#17 on the board meeting agenda) also says:
removal and replacement of the slope stabilization
I think that's referring to the concrete structure on the north side of the ROW that looks almost like it could have been an incline heading down to the corner of Market Street and Munroe Street. (If so, that was a long time ago... probably just after they elevated the line in the late 1800s) You can see it from Google running from the Washington Street bridge down to just after the station platform inbound end. It's the big strip of concrete just to the right side / North side of the inbound track.
(There's a similar old incline about 1000 yards further inbound, also on the north side of the ROW, that runs down from the trackbed to Commercial Street.)

Since the job is costing as much as $997,400 it had better be more than just track replacement!!! :wink:
Yeah, I know what you're talking about, the strip right there... kinda has some railings on the side.
There is one thing that intrigues me about Lynn is how the old platform is right next to it. What was the decision to move it down further inbound by a 100 yards.

More than just track replacement... like hmmmm... preliminary Blue Line construction? Oh how I wish... :wink: :-D
  by AutisticPsycho

Some more assembled ties have been stacked up near the Market St bridge. Any clue on when construction starts and will this have any impact on the line at all?
  by BostonUrbEx

Digging up an old thread here, but this is the only thread on the forum which mentions an escalator at Lynn Station. I noticed it yesterday (the tell tale semi-circle of concrete at the top of the escalator). I looked around, at what I previously thought was just a storage room, but it appears to be a walled off escalator area. Walked downstairs and suddenly it was obvious that the escalator was covered up with newer tiles and glass blocks. Likewise, there was another concrete semi-circle at the bottom, following the curve of a handrail wrapping around.

So was this escalator ever in service? Why was it walled off? The stairs are pretty lengthy and I wouldn't want to touch any surfaces in the elevator -- it would be pretty easy to sprint up an escalator instead of sauntering up the stairs.
  by Gerry6309

BostonUrbEx wrote:Digging up an old thread here, but this is the only thread on the forum which mentions an escalator at Lynn Station. I noticed it yesterday (the tell tale semi-circle of concrete at the top of the escalator). I looked around, at what I previously thought was just a storage room, but it appears to be a walled off escalator area. Walked downstairs and suddenly it was obvious that the escalator was covered up with newer tiles and glass blocks. Likewise, there was another concrete semi-circle at the bottom, following the curve of a handrail wrapping around.

So was this escalator ever in service? Why was it walled off? The stairs are pretty lengthy and I wouldn't want to touch any surfaces in the elevator -- it would be pretty easy to sprint up an escalator instead of sauntering up the stairs.
I wonder if there is a skeleton in there? Could be Charlie! Remember the Cask of Amontillado?

Seriously, the device was probably past its useful life, so B&M, Amtrak or MBCR walled it off instead of spending big bucks to repair, replace or remove it.
  by StefanW

Gerry6309 wrote:Seriously, the device was probably past its useful life, so B&M, Amtrak or MBCR walled it off instead of spending big bucks to repair, replace or remove it.
I can't find anything online about it right now, but I've been told by long-time Lynn residents that the escalator was closed off due to homeless people using it for their abode. Apparently it was occupied by homeless people almost 24x7. (Even before it was fully walled in, it provided quite a bit of shelter from the elements.) I can only assume that means it was already out of service by that time because I can't imagine how one would sleep on a moving escalator - unless it was a 15-second nap.

Also, I've heard some speculation that the escalator failed due to - ahem - "waste products" being left. Even today anyone who is a regular at Lynn Station has encountered too often the stairs reeking of urine.

To the best of my knowledge the escalator was installed as part of planning for the Blue Line extension. The Blue Line would require massive platform reconstruction (unless it was given only a single track which is unlikely), but the locations of the escalator, elevator, and stairs all seem to be OK. In other words, when the current station was designed I believe it was planned that the escalator, elevator, and stairs would not need to be changed for the Blue Line.
I think that idea is supported by the fact that the escalator wasn't removed / dismantled but simply entombed.