• What manufacturers crossing signals did EL use?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by Brad Smith

I just bought a large lot of hi-way crossing signals on e-bay and wish to cull out many of them. I would like to keep a few and place them in the shop yard painted up as EL did, white masts with black heads rather than the more common silver.
Did EL use one brand predominately or were there a hodge podge of manufactures used? I don't have time at the moment for a field trip to former EL trackage and hope some of you sages here know the answer. :-D
Thanks.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I have seen Safetran, and Union Switch & Signal masts and lights, on EL locations. Considering most of what was there came from prior rights railroads, and what was installed after "EL" day, anything would work. The railroads bought what was cheapest, as most of this stuff is interchangeable, with other manufactures. So, in a nutshell, paint it to match, and you can't be wrong, unless you are trying to accurately duplicate a specific crossing, on a specific day. Regards :wink:

by Brad Smith

Thanks Golden-Arm,
I had a feeling that was the case but haven't been able to get to any tracks lately. I was afraid that question might be too close to 'what type of break shoe..." so I appreciate the straight aswer! :wink: :-D
The US&S castings are the nicest, most rugged ones in the group I bought and the style I have most of, so I have been busy sandblasting away at them and am glad to hear you've seen a good number of them on the ROW.

by GOLDEN-ARM

The only problem I would see, with "going there now, and looking", would be the fact that EL "died" almost 30 years ago now, and surely, masts, signal heads (red flashing lights) crossbucks, etc., have been changed, painted, or installed as new items. This stuff started as cast iron, and steel pipe. It progressed to aluminum heads, on steel pipes, and today you have aluminum masts, and aluminum or even composite (plastic) heads, and lenses. Even the bulbs are being replaced, by LED lites, now. Probably not worth losing any sleep over. If it looks good to you, Go for it !Regards :-D