• What is your FAVORITE rail service in Philly?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Mdlbigcat

Is it SEPTA, NJT or PATCO?

by Umblehoon

Um, from looking at the poll, I'd have to say: "yes"

by Bill R.

Being a South Jersey native, I have to throw a vote PATCO's way.

Having said that, the Broad Street subway is emblematic of my feelings toward the City of Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley as a whole:

Love it for the potential it represents if our regional leaders have the will to do the right things in the future while tolerating the current reality of the present.

by Sean@Temple

I was torn because philly has so many interesting transit options (however mismanaged they may be) and pick just one was hard. I ended up going for the P&W just because it is so unique and I don't get to ride it very often. PATCO, RiverLINE, Subway-Surface, and BSL were up there too.

Sean@Temple

by walt

My vote was for Route 100, but in its old "Philadelphia & Western" Form, especially including the Brill Bullet Cars.

by chuchubob

by Otto Vondrak

Sorry, no polls. But feel free to keep the discussion going.

-otto-
  by John Pritz

Unil I was 19 I lived on the Bethleham branch of the Reading at Glenside, also Roslyn. These were my favorite. Upon Return to the Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties Area. I would say my favorite lines are: Rt #100, still called the P&W. and the Reading branch to Norristown on the R6

by SEPTALRV9072

My top 5 would be:

1. The Subway-Surface/Suburban Lightrail System

2. The P&W

3. The ex-Reading Trenton Line (aka the R3 West Trenton Branch)

4. The Paoli/Thorndale Branch

5. The RiverLINE

by jfrey40535

Do discontinued routes count? If they do, I have to say Newtown-Fox Chase which I rode many times as a kid. The old op was very nice, very scenic. On certain days (like when the A/C was broken) you got an open air ride with the head end door wide open and the rear door giving a nice breeze. Was the last commuter line in the area with the "old-time" feel too it.

Since the trips were lightly patronized, the crews were generally very friendly, and had no problem with cab rides too.

I'd say this line is as picturesque as the NHIRR, if not better.

by 7 Train

Probably the Subway Surface cars. The K-cars are cute and are an unique mode of rail transit, similar to MBTA's Green Line and San Francisco's MUNI Metro.

by alewifebp

I'm a big fan of the R5 Paoli/Thorndale service. And after riding PATCO for the first time, I have to vote for that too.

by ktrain

For the total riding experence I prefere the 100. It's fast, has a fare structure that is fair and goes past some scenic views despite eventually going to 69th street.

For the sheer usefullness factor i love the Trenton line, the whole SEPTA/NJT connection is great for students who are traveling to the NYC area. The price is pretty good compared to the gas+tolls if you are going by yourself. And during the holidays you avoid the pesky GW bridge traffic.

I grew up in R5 Paoli country...I am not a huge fan because it's really bumpy compared to some of the other lines and not all that speedy. I guess the track work they're doing might help eventually...

by JeffK

Certainly the P&W is at the top of my list for all the reasons everyone else has said, followed the Media-Sharon Hill lines because I grew up in Drexel Hill and rode them regularly as a kid.

If we can count fallen lines, add the West Chester and Willow Grove trolleys to the list.

by njtmnrrbuff

I have to say that transit to septa is MUCH cheaper than Amtrak. However, it depends if you want to spend a certain amount as well as where in Philly you are going to. It is cheaper to take the River Line to Camden Walter Rand and change for a bus there. The RL runs twice as much as Septa during the middle of the day. Yes, on weekdays, it shuts down between 36th st and Trenton station pretty early, like 9ish. If you are heading to any place in Philly near the gallery, the RL is the best way to go. If your point of interest is closer to 30th st or suburban, Septa is your best bet.