• What is the SEPTA Photo Policy?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Njt4300

I was wondering, Does Septa have a photoban like NJT? I wanted to get out and do some septa railfanning, will I have any trouble with security or train crew?

by jfrey40535

SEPTA Security????What's that?

Unless your taking pictures at 69th Street, Market East or 13th Street no one is going to harass you. I think they do require permits, but they're enforced about as much as the ban against alcoholic beverages on buses, or eating chicken wings on the MFL.

The train crews probablly would love it. If you're going to be out in Rail territory, you should pretty much have free reign over what you want to do as long as you're not standing in front of a train.

by chuchubob

Railfan photographers get yelled at at Fern Rock Terminal, too.

by the sarge

Yes, SEPTA does require photographers to obtain a permit. They had this rule in effect for years, way before 9/11 and Y2K. But as mentioned, I have never seen it enforced; in fact I doubt most employees even know about the requirement, even the transit police. But because of the terrorist situation, taking pictures at major transportation hubs or other major civil transportation points of interest, may raise the red flag. You may get harassed a bit, but not like in Joysee. In general, most SEPTA employees seem to know the difference between a railfan taken pictures and Ahmed doing reconnaissance, or they are just too lazy to say something. But the police, especially municipalities outside the city, will treat you the same.

by Njt4300

Im 14 wearing an engineers cap and a conrail shirt I dont think they'll mistake me for a terrorist thanks everyone

by Frankford5758

I've been question a few times by transit police and septa employees, and every time they left me alone once i explained to them it was just a hobby. You should be ok taking pics in the septa region, most SEPTA employees tend to be friendly.

Daryl Jackson
[email protected]

by Mdlbigcat

Go and snap away. SEPTA enforces their rules like I enforce my diet [which is NEVER, that's why I'm so fat]. :wink:

by 7 to Main St

I was stopped once on phase 1 of the MFL reconstruction.

This guy literally thought I would be a terrorist because I was filming out the cab window. Others that looked meh'ed him and one or 2 even told him this is America and we all have rights.

At 52nd where it was the temp. last stop, he told one of the main workers on the platform, the guy did not mind me taking photos, but warned me that other workers might not be so lenient.

What was funny though is the motorman recognized me from previous railfan trips on the MFL and had no problems with my railfanning on that day either.

No cop or anybody in general told me not to take photos. ACTUALLY, They(a good amount of police, septa workers, and neighborhood people) told me TO TAKE PHOTOS.

All in all, don't let 1 jerk ruin it for you, I had fun being in a construction only zone(Millborune Station). ;) So that pretty much cleared my whole day of that little disaster.

Anyways, to get back on topic, just have fun and be sure to post your photos after the trip. ;)

by Otto Vondrak

I have never had a problem taking pictures of SEPTA. I assume that the rules are much like New York's- don't block traffic (on the platform, on the street, etc), don't cause a nuisance, don't set up a tripod.

You may want to call the SEPTA office and get the official policy from them. I will in be Philly Sunday shooting streetcars- a public street is pretty much fair game.

-otto-

by 7 to Main St

They(well, the worker on the platform anyway's) did say they cant touch you from the street, but cops might still stop you, etc.

I was in the 1st car, front of the platform, not in the way at all.

I think it was the same day London had another attack, but I was not about to change my plans on account of that. But people are too paranoid.

I mean, they will be rebuilding the complete Market St El, not like a bomb would really do any bad(hoping nobody is injured), it'll just save them money on demolition costs. :P

by Olton Hall

Sometimes it is fellow passengers you might have to worry about. I got lot's of dirty looks as if I was going take everyone out when I got my camera out to takethis photoof an Amtrak Regional while waiting at SEPTA's Corwells Heights R7 station. I was an regular everyday commuter standing in my usual spot when I spotted it coming so I wasn't a stranger to the people around me