• What is the most current locomotive in operation by CSX?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Warmachine

Still new to the different models of the various engines in use. Can someone fill me in on which is the latest model used and also the models still being used. If you could also add which models are being replaced/phased out and the like. Thanks!
  by charlie6017

ES40DC/ES44AH are the most recent common current locomotive in use today. Would probably say the SD50 models are the first to be phased out in terms of road power. However, I'm not a railroad employee at all--there are active posters here that are "in the field" and would give the best input.

Charlie
  by roadster

Charlie, I'm going to disagree with you over the SD50 issue. CSX last started a rebuilding program updating some SD50's to a -3. Basicly 3000 hp, updated electronics, and operating systems. They also include 2 RV type rooftop A/C units. I read a while back that they were also suppose to be rebuilding about 250 SD40's with simular systems. Most recently purged were the remaining B33 and B36 units. The 900 series ES44A/H's are the most recent new locos.
  by charlie6017

roadster wrote:CSX last started a rebuilding program updating some SD50's to a -3. Basicly 3000 hp, updated electronics, and operating systems. They also include 2 RV type rooftop A/C units.
Duly noted......I took a closer look at that locomotive roster and see there's quite a few of those SD50's that are now dash 2's and 3's. Have you had the opportunity to run any of those yet? What do you think of 'em?

Charlie
  by roadster

The SD50-2s are simple downrated to 3000 hp using the internal computer control system and not rebuilt. The SD50-3 have been rebuilt with up to date electronic control systems, which makes them tier 3 EPA compliant. The cost is less than half the cost of a new ES44 or SD70. I recently had the 8604 as a leader on Q112. I have never been a fan of the sd50, and these are basicly SD40's on an SD50 frame. The RV type a/c units were ok, not cold but on the recent hot, humid days, they made the cab livable. The computer screen was average. But as I said, as far as pulling, they're a glorified SD40 and ride like an SD50.