• What is "chucky"? (switch at East Deerfield Yard)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by mick

Because that is the name of that track, The Chucky Track. Don't know why it's called that, maybe someone else knows.
  by gprimr1

What a name.

I'd love to hear the back story behind this.
  by newpylong

Usually railroad names goes back so long no one knows why they are called what they are... I can try to do some digging for you.
  by jaymac

$1.00 into the imaginary pool that it involves a woodchuck who refused to read and heed about not walking in the gauge.
  by gprimr1

I wonder if it's because Chucky is deformed in the movies and that is the one track that is seperate from the rest of the yard.
  by jr145

Some repair tracks are named after old time car department guys. I couldn't tell you where the chucky track got its name though.
  by gprimr1

Is Chucky a repair track?

It looks like a place they keep the ED-4 local.
  by newpylong

No, it is mostly used for customers to use for transloading, since it is accessable so close to the road. It presently is where Trucorp loads stone for the RR. Because the Asphalt and Calcium Chloride business is so hot up at their site, there is no room to get stone cars in to be loaded. Trucorp offered to truck the stone down and load it on the hoppers for the RR.

The track has been used for just about everything in the past, I watched them scrap the B&M 100 there (the slug). I think the counterweight is still at the enf of the track (concrete block). I think you can see it in the railpictures photo, it's still slightly colored Guilford orange.

repairs are done on the rip tracks on the east end of the yard.
  by Gronosaurus

When I was a clerk at Deerfield in 2006, I remember asking the same question about how this track got it's name. I honestly can't remember which of the two thoughts that come to mind are correct. Either it was named to honor a former employee, or it was called that because it was the track that all the cars that had no set places to be in the yard were "chucked" to. Again, five years have past since my time at Pan Am, so my memory is foggy....