Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by huntersails23

what are these "important" track repairs at tarrytown?

why is track 3 in pieces? and why are there goofy and dangerous looking bridges running to track four?

this does not look very safe to me...
  by pnaw10

huntersails23 wrote:what are these "important" track repairs at tarrytown? why is track 3 in pieces? and why are there goofy and dangerous looking bridges running to track four?
A quick look at Metro North's Service Update page (took me 30 seconds to find it) would have your answer. For the past several years, Metro North has been replacing wooden ties with concrete ties and welded rail. While the website doesn't get into details about the specific tracks involved, this is probably the reason Track 3 is "in pieces" right now.

Most tracks use wooden ties and shorter rail segments which are bolted together. Concrete ties are expected to have a much longer lifespan than wooden ties. Welded rail provides a much smoother, quieter ride. Both also contribute structural benefits to the overall track. Too late at night to get into the details on all of that, so I'll defer that to anyone else who wants to get into it... along with anyone with answers about the "goofy and dangerous looking bridges," since I haven't seen those. (At first, I thought maybe they were the standard footbridges to board trains a track away from the platform, but if all trains are only stopping at the inbound platform, then there is NO need for anyone to use the outbound platform.)[/url]

by DutchRailnut

LIRR and MNCR were stuck with a batch of bad concrete ties.
So track 3 has to be redone. The concrete ties are breaking up and need to be replaced from Tarrytown to Harmon.
those bridges are called Bridge plates and have been used for years.
if you follow directions and stay off them till its your turn to board there is no problem.
I doubt they go all way to track 4 ???
track 4 is nearest the River, Track 3 is land side outside track.
next to 4 is 2 in middle and next to 3 is 1 in middle.

by Terminal Proceed

The bridgeplates extend from track 3 platform to track 1. They are perfectly safe or the RR wouldn't be using them.