Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

Hi, I see those signs at major stations"begin info zone". What does it mean? Thanks.

by jayrmli

That's a low-volatage recorded message the crew can tune into on Channel 4 that gives information on disabled trains, service disruptions, etc.

Jay

by LIengineerBob

Unfortunatly, the system no longer works in most areas I have checked, and if it does indeed still work as intended, it still must be manually updated by a person in Jamaica, so the change of messages takes some time to accomplish. It is generally no longer utilized by train crews.

by Lupo 10

But channel 4 is still used extensively. At least once a night on my commute home. "Engineer go to 4"......"Conductor go to 4" etc. I guess even though the updates on disabled trains etc. aren't as updated as they should be, channel 4 is still a main channel to use between crew members.

by dukeoq

Channel 4, up until the time that I retired.(1995) was designated as the intra train channel in the special instructions.
It was, and probably still is, used by maintainance personel.
That system of info area was just being started in'95 and believe me, it became a real pain in the --well--it was a niuciance, to say the least, when we were trying to switch in Holban Yard and hearing info about conditions at Jamaica.
We eventually had to switch to Ch.3, which was no bargain either, with the Hillside YE job using that channel,too.
JJ Earl

by BMC

Ch. 4 is like a car to car for crews. However, it is also the primary channel in some yards for all yard operations. Both crews talking and that #@%& low wattage program can be a pain in the butt when trying to talk to trains being yarded or while switching.
  by N340SG

In the yards, car movers, M of E mechanical, and M of E coach cleaners also are usually on 4.
At least with the M-7, train crews have a crew intercom that they can use.
Passengers do not hear intercom conversations. The crew member can sound a "chime" (that weird outer space sound) to alert the rest of the crew that he/she wants to talk on the crew intercom to see how they like their coffee. Oops, I mean, to disseminate some work-related valuable information. :P :P
(Just clowning around...don't take umbrage.)