• What is a "CPF"?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Trains

After reading these forums for things pertaining to Guilford, I see the abbreviation "CPF" used. What exactly is a CPF. It sounds like a milepost but I am not sure.

by shadyjay

CPF I believe refers to a control point, ie CTC or other signalling. On the mainline (Mattawamkeag to Mechanicsville), mileposts are numbered backwards, 0 in northern Maine, to XXX in New York. CPF refers to the freight main signals. I believe there's also CPN for what's left of the Northern Main (Lowell to Concord), and also CPR for the Conn River Line from Springfield up to East Northfield MA. I also believe there is CPL for the Lower Road (Royal Jct/Portland to Brunswick), but not sure if this still has any signalling/CTC.

Hope this helps.

-JH

yes

by Trains

Thanks, that does help. Also, where I usually watch Guilford, on the Back
Road (between Augusta and Lewiston), they have at each railroad crossing a thin yellow sign with two reflectors on them. What do they mean, is it to signal a crossing? I think that is kind of pointless to do that if they have whistle posts and signs that say "XC". Anyway, I don't see such signs at crossings on Long Island or in other parts of the country.
  by cpf354

Trains wrote:After reading these forums for things pertaining to Guilford, I see the abbreviation "CPF" used. What exactly is a CPF. It sounds like a milepost but I am not sure.
A CP is a controlled point, meaning any location, signal, or switch and signal, remotely controlled by the dispatcher or an operator. The Guilford ETT designates many routes by name, and the route from Mattawamkeag to Mechanicville is designated the Freight Main Line. In the Guilford timetable a letter is added to the CP on each route to avoid confusion. "F" is added to CP's on the Freight Main, therefore CPF would be a controlled point on the Freight Main. Other examples are the Northern Main, where the locations are named CPN (controlled point, Northern Main Line), CPR for the Conn River, and so on. In Guilford territory the CP's are designated by the nearest milepost to the location (CPF354 is near MP 354 on the Freight Main). Around Boston, where some of the Freight Main is actually on MBTA commuter rail trackage, the mileposts are from Boston, and the CP's have alpha designations related to their locations, eg. CPF-LJ at Lowell Junction.
A "CP" should never be confused with a milepost. Many fans tend to think the CP designation applies to mileposts, which isn't the case.

by wolfmom69

trains,I think the thin yellow sign you may describing is "flanger raise" sign! WHEN railroads used snowplows that were pushed by locos,some had a set of blades that fit between the rails to remove packed snow there(there were also separate old boxcars/cabooses made into flangers. Naturally,when a switch frog/points or a raised road crossing was encountered,failure to quickly raise the flanger blade by crewman with a lever in the plow or flanger, could cause major damage to tracks,road,flanger blades-and maybe even derail the plow,and the "plow train!

Today with most railroads using hi rail trucks,wheeled front end loaders with plows or self propelled rail critters,like ballast regulators with vee plows,the plow has to be raised to avoid the damage,so the "little yellow signs"(usually on a 45 degree angle) still play a role!

Bud
  by Trains

cpf354 and wolfmom69,

Thanks, both of your responses answered my questions. Do they happen to have a listing of these control points on the internet?
  by cpf354

Trains wrote:cpf354 and wolfmom69,

Thanks, both of your responses answered my questions. Do they happen to have a listing of these control points on the internet?
This is the only one I know of. Navigate to Guilford.

http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/Index.html

by Engineer Spike

As was stated, CP is for a controled point. Guilford added the other letter to avoid confusion if there were to be two with the same number, but on other lines. This is also still practiced on the D&H, a carry-over.
CPF = Freight Main (Incl. D&H)
CPR = Conn River
CPN = Northern Main
CPW = Western Route
CPC = Canadian Main (D&H)
CPO = Colonie Main (D&H)

by Robert Paniagua

You know, I though that CPF was really a milepost, but now that I found out here, it's not, so that's why I call it a Milepost (MP), I never use CPF.

by CSX Conductor

As CPF354 mentioned, many people, both railfans and some newer T&E employees, tend to think that the CP's are numbered for their mileposts, but are often closer to another milepost. For example, on CSXT's B&A CP-171 is at MP 171.8, so if you're coming east and CP-171 is all red, you better not come up on MP 172 (which is on a curve), thinking that you still have another mile to go. :wink:

by NHRDC121

On the Boston Line the CP's are numbered according to the last milepost to the east of the controlled point. The most ridiculous example is CP 147, which is itself, literally just a few feet east of MP 148 in Pittsfield. BUT, the last milepost to the east IS MP 147! There's no question with CP 92 and CP 64, since the turnouts both straddle the mileposts at those locations.