• What has been done to these units?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by DutchRailnut

First unit was built that way by GE
second unit looks like it has box structure added to trucks to protect the trucks.

by Luther Brefo

DutchRailnut wrote:First unit was built that way by GE
second unit looks like it has box structure added to trucks to protect the trucks.
Whoa!

I would never have expected that first unit to come that way. Was there a reason? If so, what was the reason?

As for the second units protective box, what exactly would it be protected from? The elements? It certainly would not be helping keep the traction motors cool...

by EDM5970

Both units are pretty much as built. The first one is a typical 25 or 35 tonner,
much of the weight is in that lower frame. The door is for access to the TM.

The second unit has articulated trucks, connected together with a pin, and the couplers are mounted on the truck frames. I believe this unit is somewhere around 50 tons.

Both designs are fairly common. I don't know about the smaller unit, but the Pine Creek locomotive is three foot gauge.

by Luther Brefo

EDM5970 wrote:Both units are pretty much as built. The first one is a typical 25 or 35 tonner,
much of the weight is in that lower frame. The door is for access to the TM.

The second unit has articulated trucks, connected together with a pin, and the couplers are mounted on the truck frames. I believe this unit is somewhere around 50 tons.

Both designs are fairly common. I don't know about the smaller unit, but the Pine Creek locomotive is three foot gauge.
Both of these were listed under the 44 tonner category on that site. i don't know how correct that may be but...