• What happened to the Horseshoe Curve Webcam?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Idiot Railfan

Anybody know what happened to the Horseshoe Curve Webcam? It's been down for a few weeks now. Is it coming back?

I spend many unproductive hours at work watching it!

Was here:

http://64.84.107.59/view/index.shtml
  by dwil89

The Cam was supposedly back up within the past couple of days...The Museum reported that the webcam works by bouncing and receiving a wireless signal off a mountaintop several miles away....the signal has been giving them trouble lately, and they are trying to correct it.
  by Idiot Railfan

dwil89 wrote:The Cam was supposedly back up within the past couple of days...The Museum reported that the webcam works by bouncing and receiving a wireless signal off a mountaintop several miles away....the signal has been giving them trouble lately, and they are trying to correct it.
Yes, I see it's back today!

I work in New York City, and mostly all I see outside my office window is another office building, so it's fun to check out live views of the Curve during the day...

by lakeshoredave

Lots of webcams have come and gone over the years, I remember Fullerton, Fairport, and somewhere on the UP I-5 corridor in No Cal all having webcams, but were disabled over time.

by mu26aeh

That link doesn't work for me. It says something along the lines of my computer does not have permission or something. If I click on snapshot, I get a picture of the curve, but no live camera.

by umtrr-author

If you're trying to watch from work, your ability to receive streaming video could be restricted by your corporate IT department.

Many large companies (including the one that employs me) have streaming video on their list of forbidden activities as it takes up a lot of bandwidth.
  by dwil89

I have not viewed the Curve cam in quite awhile because it is painfully slow with my dialup connection...I do recall having to upload an 'Axis program' in order to view images on the Curve cam....I frequent hotels with wireless internet...next time I stay at one of them, I'll try viewing the cam on high speed wireless.

by charlie6017

Just tried it........worked okay for me!

by Idiot Railfan

charlie6017 wrote:Just tried it........worked okay for me!
Me too. That's why I'm getting no work done!

by Idiot Railfan

Looks like it's down again. Bummer! At least I'll get some work done...